Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Relationship Glue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been thinking alot about the things that people do to make their relationship last. I guess i'm saying this because i'm in an almost 5 month relationship and i know that often relationships that are years old sometimes collapse. I really don't want it to happen and i'm determined to make it work.
What sort of things do you guys think are the glue that holds your relationships together?
I think relationships require a deep understanding of another person and alot of tolerance and effort...

Comments

• Options
    I think you need to be able to get on not just as boyfriend and girlfriend, but as good mates too. For example, when you go out with peoplel, being able to just be mates with ur bf/gf, n then doin all the lovey dovey stuff when you're alone.

Not only does it give u a bit of variety,but it stops other people from gettin annoyed with u being all over each other when u go out!!
  • Options
    I agree with ryoko, you need to get on really well as friends, and be able to share in one another's lives, ie get on with one another's friends, share interests/hobbies other than each other!

Also, there's a lot of give and take involved in a good relationship; I think you both need to sacrifice some things for one another and put in a lot of effort to keep things going smoothly.

But at the end of the day, it shouldn't be too difficult to comply with the above if you're with the right person; it should all come naturally, and make you happy. If it seems like a labour, you're not with the right person for you and the relationship won't last anyway, whatever you do. It's just not worth working on.
  • Options
    Trust, friendship, compassion. I think you need to be able to 'let go' after a certain stage and be comfortable with one another.
  • Options
    i think being comfortable with each other and understanding, being able to have good fun together!
  • Options
    -being able to talk to each other when you have any problems.
    -understand that your partner is still their own person so don't get all controlling.
    -having space from your partner from time to time, like seeing your mates.
    -make sure that you don't take each other for granted.
  • Options
    what lipsy said! pretty spot on :)

but add having fun with each other to it aswell!