Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Diabetes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you've seen my other thread Needing to Wee, then you'll know that I've been going to the toilet quite a bit. Anyway I saw something about diabetes and some of the symptoms are needing to wee a lot and tiredness. Over the last few weeks I have become so tired and it's not as if I'm sleeping less than normal, I'm not as hungry as usual and have been getting really bad headaches, aswell as going toilet a lot. Do you think it could be diabetes? My Great Aunty has it and my Grandad had it aswell.

My main question is, I had my blood taken a few weeks before Christmas, as I was taking part in a study, and we got the results back the other day and they said everything was fine. But could they have missed it, as they weren't actually looking for anything in particular?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    ive been an insulin dependant diabetic for 16 years and the end of this month. im sorry to say but tiredness and increased urination can be symptoms of diabetes, along with a raging thirst that you cant quench and weight loss but tiredness and increased urination could also be an infection of some sort.
    ide go and see your gp as soon as possible really to find out. some chemists actualy do a quick sugar level check to see if you might be diabetic but they only refer you to your gp if there is a possibilty. make an appointment with your gp pal. best of luck x
  • Options
    Thanks.

I made an appointment with my doc yesterday, because I was weeing a lot, but after seeing the lloyds pharmacy ad I started wondering about diabetes. I just wasn't sure if I did have it wouldn't it have been noticed when I had my blood tested? But I'm not sure how fast these things can appear in your blood, as I've only just started getting these symptoms.

I suppose I'll just have to see what the doc says on tues, it'll probably be just an infection, although I am drinking a lot more than usual.

Thank you wee wuman.
  • Options
    Don't worry unnecessarily about diabetes. Mention it to your doctor, seeing as you're worried about it and as it runs in your family, but don't just to conclusions yet. The symptoms could be a lot of things. It sounds more likely to be some sort of urine infection like cystitis. I've just had an infection like that and yes it did make me feel quite tired and run down as well as the more obvious symptoms like needing the toilet a lot and feeling a bit of discomfort.

Try to explain your symptoms to the doctor just as they are, without bias towards any particular cause ie don't make it sound more like the symptoms of diabetes than it actually is, if that makes sense. Of course, if you're worried about diabetes then you should mention it, so that you can be reassured one way or the other, but otherwise don't get too worried until you know.

LSS
  • Options
    Thanks.

I think I am probably worrying about nothing, I saw the ad and started worrying loads. You're probably right that I've got a urine infection, but the doc will tell me on tues. How long did cystitis take to go? and what do they give you?

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    when i went to the doctors for cystitis i was given Trimethoprim tablets to be taken twice a day. I was also drinking loads of Cranberry juce. the sympoms went compleetley in about two days but i cant say which that was due to. i may have still had the sympoms for a while after if not for the cranberry juce. im not sue. sorry i cant be more helpfull
  • Options
    Thanks Mel-H.

I went to the docs today and got tested for a urine infection but everything was fine, she just put it all down to being stressed.
  • Options
    well glad to hear your ok anyway;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    Thanks Mel-H.

I went to the docs today and got tested for a urine infection but everything was fine, she just put it all down to being stressed.

so did she test you for diabetes then? i really am glad to hear that you are not diabetic as a diabetic myself. dont get me wrong you can live with it but i wouldnt wish it on anyone. people dont realise the seriousness of it but enough about that................................. YAY :D GENUINLY HAPPY FOR YOU PAL X
  • Options
    I suffering from tiredness all the time, and lack of energy etc etc

My doctor asked me why.. I said I don't know.. could be diabetes? :confused: (since some of my uncles/etc have had it) and he did some tests on me and said I didn't have diabetes. Ignored the fact I was still tired tho :yeees:

I think if you tell them what you think is wrong.. they think you're making the symptoms up or something :confused:

*yawns*
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    so did she test you for diabetes then? i really am glad to hear that you are not diabetic as a diabetic myself. dont get me wrong you can live with it but i wouldnt wish it on anyone. people dont realise the seriousness of it but enough about that................................. YAY :D GENUINLY HAPPY FOR YOU PAL X

No she didn't test me. I didn't tell her about being really tired and stuff, as I think it's just down to being stressed with exams. But if it continues, I'll go back and maybe suggest diabetes. I think I was just trying to pin-point my tiredness, wee problems etc on something, and thats when I saw that ad and just started getting really worried. I'm glad I haven't got it too, and that it's all down to stress, although chances are I could still get it. Thanks wee wuman.

TheShyBoyInTheCorner, if you're still worried about being tired, maybe you should go and see another doctor, especially if you've been like that for quite a while. I also agree about telling them what you're worried you might have, that's one of the reasons I didn't say about diabetes, I didn't want her to think I was making stuff up! They are there after all to find out whats wrong with you, and hopefully they should spot it, without you having to tell them.
  • Options
    No she didn't test me. I didn't tell her about being really tired and stuff, as I think it's just down to being stressed with exams. But if it continues, I'll go back and maybe suggest diabetes. I think I was just trying to pin-point my tiredness, wee problems etc on something, and thats when I saw that ad and just started getting really worried. I'm glad I haven't got it too, and that it's all down to stress, although chances are I could still get it. Thanks wee wuman.

OH! you really should have told the doctor about the tiredness and stuff, even if you think its all down to stress. how do you know you dont have it then, did the doctor say that? if not i suggest you go back and ask to be tested for it or go to loyds and get tested. i dont mean to scare you but it is better to have diabetes diagnosed asap if you have it to avoid complications.
  • Options
    OH! you really should have told the doctor about the tiredness and stuff, even if you think its all down to stress. how do you know you dont have it then, did the doctor say that? if not i suggest you go back and ask to be tested for it or go to loyds and get tested. i dont mean to scare you but it is better to have diabetes diagnosed asap if you have it to avoid complications.

Yeah I suppose you are right, I think I'll go to loyds and get tested, don't want to go back to the docs, it seems like I'm always there. Do they just take your blood when your tested?
  • Options
    Yeah I suppose you are right, I think I'll go to loyds and get tested, don't want to go back to the docs, it seems like I'm always there. Do they just take your blood when your tested?

gave me a piss pot :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    gave me a piss pot :p

oh god not another one...I don't think I can stand doing anymore!
  • Options
    The test for diabetes is the same as a test for an infection. Did you hand over a urine sample?

If so she will have used what is called a multi-stick to test for infection. At the same time the process tests for excess sugar in the urine which is indicative of diabetes. A blood test or urine test works equally well.

Lloyds cannot take your blood (and ethically shouldn't test your urine without telling your GP!) without telling your GP and sending official records to be documented with them.

So whilst you were being tested for an infection the nurse would have notived excess glucose present in your urine. I have the same problem - frequent urination and as I work in a surgery I am tested once a week to make sure I don't pick up an infection or show signs on diabetes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    The test for diabetes is the same as a test for an infection. Did you hand over a urine sample?

If so she will have used what is called a multi-stick to test for infection. At the same time the process tests for excess sugar in the urine which is indicative of diabetes. A blood test or urine test works equally well.

Ohhh right, I didn't know that. Yeah I did give over a urine sample, and she put that paper stick thing in, so I suppose she would have noticed.

Thanks a lot, it's saved me a trip.
  • Options
    nope you wont give a urine sample if you go to loyds. they will do a small blood test that involves pricking your finger with a small lancet and putting it on a special strip. i do this eveyday 3 or 4 times a day, its nothing traumatic.
    please get checked, its better to be safe than sorry. its probably all down to stress but knowing for sure will reduce your stress now wont it?
    good luck mrs x
  • Options
    nope you wont give a urine sample if you go to loyds. they will do a small blood test that involves pricking your finger with a small lancet and putting it on a special strip. i do this eveyday 3 or 4 times a day, its nothing traumatic.
    please get checked, its better to be safe than sorry. its probably all down to stress but knowing for sure will reduce your stress now wont it?
    good luck mrs x

so they won't have been able to tell from my urine sample? All the nurse did was put one of them strips (looked like the ph strips) into my sample, to see if there was a lot of blood or protein in it (or something).

I thought you had a blood test to see if you had diabetes. Oh I don't know anymore.
  • Options
    so they won't have been able to tell from my urine sample? All the nurse did was put one of them strips (looked like the ph strips) into my sample, to see if there was a lot of blood or protein in it (or something).

I thought you had a blood test to see if you had diabetes. Oh I don't know anymore.

loyds do the finger print test. they confirm diabetes by a big blod test and also can test your urine. i thought they just tested your urine for an infection? did they say they were testing for diabetes?
  • Options
    The doc didn't say anything about diabetes, and neither did I, so I persume they didn't test for diabetes but just an infection. But Bumblebee said they would have tested for diabetes aswell, so I'm not sure. The nurse asked what she was testing for, as the doc didn't say and I said infection, so no they probably didn't test for it. I just wasn't sure if they tested for a infection, that if I had diabetes it would show. As you can tell I haven't really got a clue about testing and stuff for it.

I just didn't want to bother going to lloyds, as i'd probably have to go to one in Leicester, if they would have been able to tell from my urine sample.
  • Options
    The test strips automatically test for traces of many things including blood and glucose in your urine. The nurse / GP would have seen if you had sugar in the urine. However, if it is still worrying you you can ring them up and tell them you had a urine test done and could they check to make sure there wasn't any sugar in the urine please.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    The test strips automatically test for traces of many things including blood and glucose in your urine. The nurse / GP would have seen if you had sugar in the urine. However, if it is still worrying you you can ring them up and tell them you had a urine test done and could they check to make sure there wasn't any sugar in the urine please.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I don't think I'll bother, as they would have seen. If me being tired, thirsty etc carries on, once I get my last exam out the way tommorrow, I'll go to Lloyds and get tested.
  • Options
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, I don't think I'll bother, as they would have seen. If me being tired, thirsty etc carries on, once I get my last exam out the way tommorrow, I'll go to Lloyds and get tested.

if you are truely worried then go to your gp and tell them your concerns. as a diabetic myself i know its not something to be blase about, chances are it is an infection but why dont you put your mind at rest, please. if diabetes is present then its best to have it diagnosed to avoid the chance of complications, you dont want that believe me, im suffering one of the complications and its not nice.
    just go, get it done and put your mind at ease, you will probably be fine but as ive said before its better to be safe than sorry.

x

ps im not trying to worry you, sorry if i am!