Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pregnancy and the pill

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
i know that as soon as you know you are pregnant you have to stop taking the pill as there are risks involved. but does anyone actually know what the risks are to both the baby and the mother?

thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    things like premature labour, small birth weight etc have been suggested, but i dont know if theres solid evidence on thatand that is if you take the pill for a period of time throughout your pregnancy.

Many women/girls fall pregnant whilst on the pill, and they stop taking it once they realise, and it causes them and their babies absolutely no problems at all.

my old manager left recently for maternity elave. she found out she was pregnant when she was six months gone! thought she was infertile, she had polysystic ovaries (which explained the periods), she was a big woman so she wouldnt have noticed a bump at that time - she flew to new york and back, smoked and drank like a student, was on the pill for five of those months, and she even lost a stone on the atkins diet - and her baby is absolutely fine :)

i guess it all depends on how your body and your baby reacts it to it, everybody's different, but i never heard of any case where its caused the death of the baby, or problems throughout the pregnancy for either the mother or the child or anything like that.

the best thing is to be careful, dont miss your pills, use a condom, and for 98% of the time, you wont run that risk of getting pregnant and potentially harming your child.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by badabing
    things like premature labour, small birth weight etc have been suggested, but i dont know if theres solid evidence on thatand that is if you take the pill for a period of time throughout your pregnancy.

Many women/girls fall pregnant whilst on the pill, and they stop taking it once they realise, and it causes them and their babies absolutely no problems at all.

my old manager left recently for maternity elave. she found out she was pregnant when she was six months gone! thought she was infertile, she had polysystic ovaries (which explained the periods), she was a big woman so she wouldnt have noticed a bump at that time - she flew to new york and back, smoked and drank like a student, was on the pill for five of those months, and she even lost a stone on the atkins diet - and her baby is absolutely fine :)

i guess it all depends on how your body and your baby reacts it to it, everybody's different, but i never heard of any case where its caused the death of the baby, or problems throughout the pregnancy for either the mother or the child or anything like that.

the best thing is to be careful, dont miss your pills, use a condom, and for 98% of the time, you wont run that risk of getting pregnant and potentially harming your child.

thanks for the reply. that was *really* useful and has put my mind at ease a bit :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by badabing

thats mad!