Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Possible problems relating to The Pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

Wondering if you could help my girlfriend and i with a problem thats worrying us right now. She began taking the pill (the microgynon pill) at the beginning of december (the 3rd to be exact) and all was well. However she didnt stop taking it during the week she was meant to and so carried on taking it, and would have her next week break as normal rather than skipping it.

The problem started 11 days into her second pack though where she had some minor bleeding. A couple of days before the bleeding started we had sex without a condom but i dont know if this could have anything to do with the problem at hand. At first the bleeding was only minor, like spotting, but on the tuesday morning the bleeding became a lot heavier much like a period.

Then on the saturday just gone she had abdominal and lower back pains in the morning but these went away until sunday morning.

On sunday morning (yesterday, 11th) the back and abdominal pains returned and were a lot more painful than before. She later found in her underwear what she described to me as a small white/bloody coloured object that was squishy/mucus-like but was thicker than a vaginal discharge. Last night she was feeling very nauseous and was sick a fair few times as well.

Today she still has the abdominal and lower back pains, and shes going to see someone at the family planning clinic tomorrow.

We dont know what it could be thats causing this, we think maybe the pill, but we're not sure. The info section on thesite.org may possibly point in the direction of a possible miscarriage:
When the foetus dies it is discarded from the uterus. Vaginal bleeding (that lasts between 7 and 10 days) is the most common sign; along with abdominal or lower back pain.

She is going to see someone at the family planning clinic tomorrow (I had to go back to uni yesterday :() as i said above but we hope someone on here can give us any advice on what it could be thats causing so much grief.

Thanks,

Rich

P.S. I didnt know if this post was better placed in the Health or Sex forum, so i chose Health - move it if necessary! :)

Comments

• Options
    ooer - that doesn't sound pleasant at all.

personally i'd ring NHS direct, and see what they think. the lines will be open all night, and if nothing else, you can get a bit of reassurance.
  • Options
    Re: Possible problems relating to The Pill?

I must admit that when I read that description my first thought was a miscarriage. But not necessarily. Sounds like she needs a trip to a clinic or a doctor to get a proper diagnosis. There are a lot of things it could be. Spotting/bleeding between periods is fairly common when you start the pill, and the abdominal pain could be any number of things really. The only person who can help really is a professional.

Oh and well done for being such a supportive, concerned boyfriend.
  • Options
    Re: Possible problems relating to The Pill?
    Originally posted by 5 StRiNg WiZaRd
    She later found in her underwear what she described to me as a small white/bloody coloured object that was squishy/mucus-like but was thicker than a vaginal discharge.

I will be honest Im not sure about wether the pill causes problems like you have mentioned, its been that long since I was on it lol.

What I would say about what I quoted you on is that this is quite common. Many girls do loose a mucosy/slimy discharge and it is thicker than just a discharge and it is as you have described.

Id go with what kaffrin said and give the NHS helpline a ring, there will be someone there who can advise you and just put your mind at rest :)

Edited to add here is the info for NHS Direct :
    NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47
  • Options
    Hello

I can only echo what everyone else has said and suggest she goes to the doctors as she plans to.

It is possible that this particular pill is just not right for her and she needs to try a different one. There should be no problem with failing to take the break.

On another point: I think that you sound like a really great guy and it's really nice to read a well worded post that isn't full of text speak.We're all quick to tell people off when they post crap so I think it's worth being nice when someone comes along and posts like this!:)
  • Options
    Many thanks for the advice :)

I think for now we'll wait and see what the clinic says tomorrow, i think she's asleep at the moment and don't want to go ringing the NHS direct line without asking her, last thing i want to do is go doing something that she would like a say in! Thanks for suggesting it though, i hadn't thought about it until it was mentioned!

Byny - I did read somewhere that different pills work differently with the body, each having different strengths and weaknesses, or along those lines at least. Could it be something as simple as just changing the type of pill she might be on?

Its frustrating that this is all happening just as i get back to university, it hurts that i cant quickly nip back to be with her and go with her to the clinic, or even just be there to hug her. But ill be on the phone and sending text messages like mad making sure shes ok. The 240 odd mile distance between us only makes me want to do the most i can do to let her know ill be there no matter what.

Thanks again,

Rich
  • Options
    ^^^^ omg :heart:
  • Options
    Thought id let you know how my girlfriend got on this afternoon.

She went to see someone at the Family Planning Clinic and was told that she could have had a miscarriage but we'll never know. But everythings fine and she only came on her period early because she missed the one before.

Either way shes a lot happier and more relaxed having been told that by a professional now, which makes me a lot happier that shes at ease. Big weight off her mind as well as mine.

Anyways i thought id let you know in case anyone else had any problems like this.

Thanks again for the advice given :)

Take care

Rich
  • Options
    glad to hear she's feeling better. :)