Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving up smoking?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tips needed, I have tried before and managed to stop for months but inevitably what happens is I have a bad few days and reach for the nicotine crutch for support and hello Philip Morris I'm back!

Anyone else going cold turkey at the mo?

Comments

• Options
    I tried to quit loads in the past but its hard... what i found easier was a gradual thing, last summer i was on 40 a day, this summer 20, now im on 10 ive set myself a date, by time im 20 (april) ill only smoke in pubs/clubs when others are, and after that cut out all together.

I cant help you with youre quitting at the moment, and im sure others will give you hundreds of great tips - but if you find you really cant do it after a few months, maybe try a more gradual thing, might take you a year or so to quit but it will be so much easier and there wont be any cravings or toughness...

Obviously, this is the option for if you find youre really crap at quitting but it sounds like you wont need to go about it this way to me.. just an idea.
  • Options
    Allen Carr! ..... :D

apparently anyhoo....byny's vehement recommendation from another thread

i think i'm gonna give it a go.
  • Options
    When you start wanting a ciggy go and get a glass of water. Try to change your routine totally, if straight after eating you would normally smoke then go and wash up, just do anything to take your mind off having that ciggy.
    I think keeping yourself busy is one of the best things to reccomend, being a smoker myself i smoke sometimes just out of boredom/routine etc, so change your lifestyle slightly and your half way there. Try eating fruit, or if you like carrots or celery stuff like that because whilst your holding the celery your actually doing something with your hands.

Are you quitting without the help of patches ? if so I always reccomend them because they can make quitting a hell of a lot easier. You can get them on prescription and I beleive you can have a months supply in one go for the cost of a prescription. You can wear the patch and nobody can see it as you can put them on the top of your arms out of view.

Your obviously half way there by actually wanting to quit, if you were not in the right frame of mind to quit then chances are you might not stop. I see Candy mentioned Allan Carr, I actually saw him on This Morning earlier today, if you go onto the This Morning website (ITV) apparently there is a helpline number on there, which he mentioned so people could phone for help/support.

Good luck and I really hope you do pack in. I hope to pack in some time but im just not that committed to pack in. One day it will hit me and I will actually want to pack in for myself and nobody else.......bit like a drug addict.
  • Options
    How to give up?

1. NEVER EVER SMOKE AGAIN
    2. WHENEVER YOU THINK ABOUT SMOKING, THINK 'YIPPEE, I'M A NON SMOKER!'

R REJOICE: There is nothing to give up
    A ADVICE: Ignore it if it conflicts this advice
    T TIMING: Today!
    I IMMEDIATE: You're free when you stub out the last!
    O ONE CIGARETTE: Will cost you X pounds and kill you!
    N NEVER Smoke or even crave a cigarette!
    A ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY: no such thing
    L LIFE STYLE: Don't change it unless you want to
    I IMBIBE Nothing containing nicotine
    S SUBSTITUTES: Don't use them
    E ELEPHANT: Don't try not to think about smoking
    D DON'T DOUBT YOUR DECISION
  • Options
    update please Black Arab, how are you coping ?
  • Options
    I've managed to cut down to the odd one a day now to be honest. That one is still necessary to stop me banging my head against the wall.

Cheers for the tips.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I've managed to cut down to the odd one a day now to be honest. That one is still necessary to stop me banging my head against the wall.

Cheers for the tips.

Nice 1, dead chuffed for ya :D