Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

burns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so i burnt my arm with the iron yesterday! dumass me yes, but thing is it wasnt me the dog ran past knocked the iorning board and the iron landed on my arm :( but yeah, i neva ran it under cold water cuz i was in a rush and now and its one big burn going up my arm, and it kills!
so my question is do any of you know whats good to put on burns cos otherwise im going to have a huge scar going up my arm (probs will anyway now though), or just to stop it hurting?
Thank you! :)

Comments

• Options
    Well to be honest if this happened yesterday i imagine the main damage is already done.

With burns you need to stick them under cold water immediately for a long time.

I'm not sure what you'd need to do now. Go to the doc and get some skin cream I expect.
  • Options
    Germoline and sometimes Calomine Lotion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Germoline

whats that? :confused:
  • Options
    Doctor knows best. Closely followed by the NHS helpline, Job done in 20 seconds.
  • Options
    Re: burns
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    im going to have a huge scar going up my arm (probs will anyway now though), or just to stop it hurting?
    Thank you! :)

If there's a break in the skin, you may need some antibiotics to stop the wound getting infected, which would slow healing and result in a worse scar and off colour.

The best thing to do is take a trip to your local swimming pool and have a swim as often as pos. THe chorine will heal the thing as quick as hell.

Don't worry about the piss and poo in there. I've only ever used a plaster once. Every thing else....chlorine job.
  • Options
    Arnica has really good healing proprties for burns and cuts. You can get it in cream form from health food shops.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    With burns you need to stick them under cold water immediately for a long time.

Wrong you never put put a burn under cold water you dampen/wet a towl. and put that on the burn.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Wrong you never put put a burn under cold water you dampen/wet a towl. and put that on the burn.

Whoever told you that needs to be shot in the face.

All the way from the first aid manual of voluntary aid societies (Red Cross, St Johns Ambulance and St Andrews Ambulance Association)"Flood the injured part with cold water for at least ten minutes to stop the burning and relieve the pain. If water is not available, any cold, harmless liquid, such as milk or canned drinks, will do tbh.
  • Options
    lol ive done that, my best mate wanted me to iron her hair, ended up burning my arm by accident!!

at first it will be big and red and horrible, jus keep putting antiseptic cream on it whenever you can and keep it clean, dont put plasters or anything on it as the burn needs the air to help it heal, it will fade soon enough tho
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz

Now she could, but immedeately after even the most stupid idiot would know that the cloth could stick to her skin, making everything worse and more painful.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Now she could, but immedeately after even the most stupid idiot would know that the cloth could stick to her skin, making everything worse and more painful.

Thats what i was thinking.
    By now its probably irrelevant, but you can get some gel stuff that cools and stops the pain and swelling. Worked for me when i drbbled hot oil on my hand :rolleyes: