Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MYTHS or are they?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what about the shi..... sorry... the things that people tell you as a kid , eh?

like............

1. eat your crusts, it will make your hair go curly. what kid wants curly hair? :confused:
2. if the wind changes your face will stay like that!
3. eat that porridge, it will put hairs on your chest. yeah as a girl i really want hairs on my chest?????

any one got any more myths to add to the collection?

Comments

• Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about something mystical and thrilling... You sold it so well in the title. Theres the traditional 'Your eyes will go square if you watch too much TV' and whenever it was cold 'Jack Frost' was always out. And the best, eating too many sweets would ruin your dinner. Lies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I thought this thread was going to be about something mystical and thrilling... You sold it so well in the title.

:crying: :lol: sorry to disappoint dear! is a bit of a build up!
  • Options
    Re: MYTHS or are they?
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    2. if the wind changes your face will stay like that!

my mum told me that one too and being the fool i was, i believed it :confused:

i told my brother that if he ate peanuts a tree would grow out of his head hehe :yes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: MYTHS or are they?
    Originally posted by hybrid
    i told my brother that if he ate peanuts a tree would grow out of his head hehe :yes:

........or if you swallow a fruit pip the tree will grow in your stomach!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: MYTHS or are they?
    ........or if you swallow a fruit pip the tree will grow in your stomach!

oh how many years i spent picking the pips out of every fruit i ate......evil parents
  • Options
    Carrots make you see in the dark :p

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    after i ate too many cashew nuts, my mum told me i'd turn into a cashew nut.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Carrots make you see in the dark :p

:eek: you mean.....carrots can't make you see in the dark?!?! that means my whole life has been a lie :(

:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    thats not a myth.. they don't make you see, thats all to do with rods and cones, but they do help

and I know I've mentioned it a milliontimes before but my mum told that if I stood too close to the microwave I'd get micromwaved myself

I'm afraid you're wrong there. Carrots don't improve vision at all. All an old wives tale.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    I'm afraid you're wrong there. Carrots don't improve vision at all. All an old wives tale.

ahhhhhhhhhh but carrots contain vitamin c which is good for your eyes so in a wee way its not so wrong!
  • Options
    ahhhhhhhhhh but carrots contain vitamin c which is good for your eyes so in a wee way its not so wrong!

Vitamin C is good for your skin; stops scurvy. However, carrots are high in Vitamin A, and a deficiency in this nutrient can cause some difficulty seeing in dim light. Most of us get enough Vitamin A anyway so it doesn't make that much difference.

If you've heard of Carotene - that's actually the substance that is broken down by our bodies into Vitamin A.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Vitamin C is good for your skin; stops scurvy. However, carrots are high in Vitamin A, and a deficiency in this nutrient can cause some difficulty seeing in dim light. Most of us get enough Vitamin A anyway so it doesn't make that much difference.

If you've heard of Carotene - that's actually the substance that is broken down by our bodies into Vitamin A.

Finally someone gets it right.

Carrots do help you see in the dark because of the Vit A in them, the "old wives tale" is actually based on fact...
  • Options
    I knew the old carrot argument would come up:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by RNT
    we know where you like to put your carrots sticky vicky :lol:
    yes I leave them out for Rudolph and his mates every year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

sorry my mistake, i knew there was some kind of vitamin in carrots that were good for the old pork pies. covered it in home ec but that was 10 years ago :crazyeyes
  • Options
    My dad made some cool things up... like winding up the world, we had a special key and everything.

I liked...'if the wind changes your face will stay like that' and
    if you unscrew your bellybutton your arse falls off!
  • Options
    Does chocolate really give you spots? I'm still trying to work this out.
    And the myth that Santa doesn't exist as a friend once told me is a total lie!
  • Options
    nah chocolate its self shouldnt give you spots but if thats all you ate you might get spots cos you dont have a balanced diet.
  • Options
    you know whats a myth? that people are allowed to have different opinions in this place ;)
  • Options
    no just freedom of thought :p

in-jest comment btw

damn, thats where i have been going wrong! ;)
  • Options
    "Bloods thicker than water"

As in you should choose your family over going out with someone they don't approve of.

• Options

As in you should choose your family over going out with someone they don't approve of.

i know, what bullshit, when you grow up and realise what complete twats your parents are, you never choose them over anyone

not like im bitter or anything :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family"

but you do choose who your friends are, if you dont like someone you wont make them your friend. you cant pick your family, your born into it. you might not like your family but there is no getting away from the fact that they are your family. well you can tell them to piss off but..........
  • Options

i would. and i think it's true.

my family know me better than anyone, and if they thought someone was wrong for me, they probably would be.

having said that, the only other half they've disapproved of was my cousin's ex, and he used to treat her like shit.

at 16 we all hate our parents, but when you're a bit older you'll realise you only get one set of parents, and 9 times out of 10 they just want what's best for you.