Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctor Windows?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dad's girlfriend's brother has a PC he got from a doctors surgery (legitimate, might I add)

The only thing is it runs on some sort of Medical Windows. How can he get it to run as a normal OS?

Comments

• Options
    put in a boot disk then type something along the lines of

format c:
    Y

then install windows again. however - ignore that if you dont wanna fuck it up and you're not sure what you're doing.
  • Options
    I have a Win xp recovery disk. Would that work? I dont know what System it is.
  • Options
    Read this

Read the above and it will tell you how to reformat your hard drive. Make sure you print it out.
  • Options
    When you install from a Windows CD it should try to recognise and install as many drivers for the hardware as possible. But if it can't find them, then you will need to find them. Do this before attempting the install. You need to find the make and model of either the computer (if it's a Dell, Compaq, etc), and download the drivers from them, or identify all the components inside and locate the drivers for them. The Windows System properties in the Control Panel will be a good place to start, as will the string of numbers and letters that pop up at the bottom of the screen when booting the PC (they identify the motherboard).
    Good luck.

And what do you mean by Medical version of Windows? Do you mean it just displays something when booting? That could just be a customisable booting screen, sort of like wallpaper. The Windows System properties should tell you which version of Windows you're running.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    OK, I'm not an all out expert in the field, but i do have 5 years of experience behind me, and I have never heard of a version of windows being released just for people of a certain occupation. I think Mr Wobble hit the nail on the head with the custom boot screen or wallpaper.