Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does this phobia exist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As in aracnophobia(sp) is the fear of spiders.

Is there a phobia for fear of being around lots of people?

.:Crispy:.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Does this phobia exist?
    Originally posted by Crispy

you can have a phobia of anything...

in that case, it sounds like it could be social phobia, where you are afraid of social situations, an aspect of claustrophobia, where you get panicky in crowds cause you see it as a confined space, or agoraphobia, where you're just afraid to be too far from home, or out in public.
  • Options
    Hmm definitely not claustrophobia.

Here's a little situation to explain further:

I can't go to a shop on my own because i'm just too scared to.

But if i'm with someone else then I can go to the shop & everything is fine.

But then after going to the shop inside my head it says 'wow I actually did that & it wasn't that scary' but then cause whoever i'm with doesn't know how scary it is for me then they just think it's totally normal because they can go to the shop on their own with no trouble it's just an everyday occurrence for them.

But for me it is a real major achievement for myself but i get no praise from the person i'm with so I never get over the fear because it's always just myself trying to convince myself & the self which is scared wins & stomps on the other self which knows it is a trivial & very simple thing to do just going to the shops on my own.

Bit more info that may help find a conclusion.

• Options
    but what is it you're actually scared of when you think about going into the shop? what do you think might happen if you go in there alone?

if you don't want to say that here, you can PM me. i have phobias of things you wouldn't even believe, so i won't think you're daft or anything.
  • Options
    I have phobias of things that you'd expect from a loon, but a phobia is just a fear of something so as long as you can be scared of it you can have a phobia for it...

Just being afraid of people is called anthropophobia.
    Being afraid of people in general or society is called sociophobia.

It sounds like you're scared of what other people may do or that you dont trust them from what you say.
  • Options
    Re: Does this phobia exist?

I'm not being terribly helpful, but there is a known phobia of being alone. This is called 'monophobia', which is essentially the opposite of what you are describing. Surely, there will be a phobia describing the presence of lots of people.

My main fear is of the dark with various conditions. If I'm alone, then my fear of darkness kicks in, giving the 'monophobia' element. I hope no-one laughs at this, but another condition for my fear of darkness is when the dark side is on the right-hand side of me. I find it hard to believe if there really is a phobia for things/events on the right-hand side of you.
  • Options
    I don't know but being a Greek student I would guess that a fear of crowds is called ochlophobia or something. But yeah it definitely exists. It also sounds a bit like agoraphobia where you're scared of being out in the open and in wide spaces. A girl at my sister's school had this and she had to stay off school for 6 months while she came to terms with it.
  • Options
    Woohoo, go me, just looked up 'ochlophobia' in the dictionary and it does indeed mean a fear of crowds. Looks like I'm learning something from my degree at least.
  • Options
    http://pages.infinit.net/drnayman/agorapho.htm

Me again, just found the above page which defines agoraphobia. I think that sounds a bit like what you described.
  • Options
    I once knew someone who was absolutly pettrified of tomatoes
  • Options
    To be honest, it sounds like some version of agorophobia. Are you afraid of the outside, or the people that are in the outside?

Phobias of the outdoors, of people and of social situations are quite common, and I would suggest you had a gander around the MIND website, because it is full of useful information. If you want to PM me feel free, even if its just to get more help at finding things out:)
  • Options
    Hi there

We have some info on phobias here

The phobic's society have a stack of advice and info on their website especially relationg to social anxieties.

Hope that helps

Susie :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Does this phobia exist?
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    I'm not being terribly helpful, but there is a known phobia of being alone. This is called 'monophobia', which is essentially the opposite of what you are describing. Surely, there will be a phobia describing the presence of lots of people.

My main fear is of the dark with various conditions. If I'm alone, then my fear of darkness kicks in, giving the 'monophobia' element. I hope no-one laughs at this, but another condition for my fear of darkness is when the dark side is on the right-hand side of me. I find it hard to believe if there really is a phobia for things/events on the right-hand side of you.

My friend's afraid of the darkness, must be the boiler suits and the high-pitched wailing that does it...

Sorry! :p

You have such interesting medical conditions about your person. I hope that didn't sound weird...
  • Options
    From the website posted by Lisa Simpson's Saxophone
    Rather, they are afraid of having panicky feelings, wherever. these fearful feelings may occur. For many, they happen at home, in houses of worship, or in crowded supermarkets, places that are certainly not "open".

In fact, agoraphobia is a condition which develops when a person begins to avoid spaces or situations associated with anxiety. Typical "phobic situations" might include driving, shopping, crowded places, traveling, standing in line, being alone, meetings and social gatherings.

Agoraphobia arises; from an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before. Once the panic attacks have started, these episodes become the ongoing stress, even when other more obvious pressures have diminished. This sets up a "feedback condition" which generally leads to increased numbers of panic attacks and, for some people, an increase in the situations or events which can produce panicky feelings.

A person may fear having anxiety attacks, "losing control", or embarrassing him/herself in such situations. Many people remain in a painful state of anxious anticipation because of these fears. Some become restricted or "housebound" while others function "normally" but with great difficulty, often attempting to hide their discomfort.

All this applies to me :( The only place I feel trully safe is either my bedroom or visiting my sister in another town.

Any ideas how to get rid of this demon then?

• Options
    [BAny ideas how to get rid of this demon then?
    [/B]

go see a doctor. they can refer to to all kinds of therapist for help, and it'll all be free on the NHS.

trouble is, the waiting lists for phobia treatment can be really long, depending on your area.

you can go private, but it'll cost big time.
  • Options
    Any ideas how to get rid of this demon then?

Go to the doctors, and take it from there. Normally its a therapy job, as far as I am aware, but the doctors will know more.

If its NHS be aware that there might be a long wait for therapy, until I was queue-jumped I was told 18 months for therapy for BPD. You could always go private, but that does cost.
  • Options
    Anthropophobia: Fear of people or society.
  • Options
    Defined as "a persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of people or society", each year, this surprisingly common phobia causes countless people needless distress.

To add insult to an already distressing condition, most anthropophobia therapies take months or years and sometimes even require the patient to be exposed repeatedly to their fear. We believe that not only is this totally unnecessary, it will often make the condition worse. And it is particularly cruel as anthropophobia can be eliminated with the right methods and just 24 hours of commitment by the phobic individual.

Known by a number of names Anthropophobia, Fear of People, and Fear of Society being the most common, the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. It can cause panic attacks and keep people apart from loved ones and business associates. Symptoms typically include shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and overall feelings of dread, although everyone experiences anthropophobia in their own way and may have different symptoms.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    To add insult to an already distressing condition, most anthropophobia therapies take months or years and sometimes even require the patient to be exposed repeatedly to their fear.

that's standard for most phobias.

the person is gradually introduced to situations that make them panic, and they stay in the situations until their anxiety resides (which it always will, be it 5 minutes or 5 hours) as their anxiety lessens, they are introduced to more 'difficult' situations, and so, the theory goes, after a while they will not feel anxiety when confronted with the thing they formerly feared.

with a simple phobia - such as a fear of spiders, or flying, it can take a few months or more.

with a more complex phobia, such as agoraphobia, or social phobia, it can take years.