Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the gym

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
a relative of mines goes to pays a big amount (in my eyes) to have access to the gym whenever he wants, but he never goes to the gym.
What would you do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: the gym
    Originally posted by daveywizere03
    a relative of mines goes to pays a big amount (in my eyes) to have access to the gym whenever he wants, but he never goes to the gym.
    What would you do?
    Ye Ive a few mates like this, its almost an image thing to be able to go once a week or whatever and makes them feel good and not so guilty there actually a part of it! Just leave them to it if your that worried join them and go with them!
  • Options
    It's very common that people plan on starting some very healthy new lifestyle and pay big sums to kickstart those grand plans. I do not know the statistics, but I think a high percentage basically wasted their money on something they don't use.

My mom has done it several times. My dad has done it. My brother has done it. I have done it (although mom paid :p).

I think a part of it is are the great deals you can make by buying access to the gym for a whole year and the pressure to lead a healthy life. People do it over and over again even if it has always failed.

Is your relative going alone, or did he plan on doing it? It is quite strange that we fear disappointing our friends more than ourselves so it can be good to have a training partner. Another good question would be whether he enjoys it or is doing it because of the "stay-fit" pressure in modern society. Perhaps you could suggest he starts doing something he enjoys? I do not know how old he is but I know of several 30-40 year old guys who started training Taekwondo, and many still are because they enjoy it, not only because they "should do it". :) Another thing is that we have an attendance list, as opposed to the fact that nobody cares whether you show up or not in the gym.

So perhaps he might like it better to do something else than go to the gym. :) In many cases it might be cheaper, too. And to feel better going out for a walk regularly can also be quite good. :)
  • Options
    Why dont you suggest to him that he phones the gym and asks to suspend his membership for a couple of months? Most gyms offer this, and it will temporarily stop taking your monthly payment out, although will sometimes charge an "admin fee" - but this is only likely to be £5 or so for each month its suspended!

Whilst his memberships frozen, hopefully he'll come to a decision about whether he wants to use the gym, or if he wants to spend his money on something else

If he does want to continue his membership, then try and make sure he doesnt over do it. If he goes 5 times in a week, he'll get bored of it all pretty quickl!

Final thought - as Fáfnir VII said, its a lot easier if your going with someone - see if he can get someone who has the same sort of goals as he does, and get them to go together!
  • Options
    I pay for the gym because i wanted to lose weight, and kinda tone up, though the tone up part i decided agains as i just reall wanted to lose weight, the way things turned out i just couldnt get to the gym and now finally when things get kinda back to normal its winter and theres no way in hell im gunna go to the gym after working for 10 hrs to then excersise for 2 hrs to then walk home in the freezing cold...However.. i need to try and suspend my membership, if the other person on the membership also agrees that we've wasted our money.. Any ideas on this ??