Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What, in your opinion, and with a brief explanation of why, is the most worthwhile charity. Well, all charitys are worthwhile, but focus on one.

In my opinion it's the NSPCC because there's nothing more important in my opinion than children, and the protection of their safety and happiness.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Charity

different for everyone, surely?

i give to a charity which funds a hospice in Leeds, cause my grandma and aunt both died in there, and it's kind of close to us.

they don't ask the patients for any contribution, and they get minimal funding from the NHS, so they rely heavily on donations.

my dad also volunteers as an accountant and web designer for the same hospice.

i think it's important for people to die in a place where they feel safe.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Charity
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i give to a charity which funds a hospice in Leeds

Is that St Gemmas (or something similar)?

There was one hospice who always used to have a lottery stall in Morrisons here, except since c*nting Camelot came along theyve stopped running it. Shame really.

I tend to give to the NSPCC and British Red Cross as national charities, tyhough I do buy books and other odds and sods from places like the Sally Army often-ish.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Charity
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Is that St Gemmas (or something similar)?

:yes:

it's a lovely place now.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Charity
    :yes:

it's a lovely place now.

It always was, as far as I heard. Never had anything to do with it though, thank goodness.

There is a Catholic hospice knocking around in Leeds somewhere, I wish I could remember which one it was. Our school always gave to that one at Christmas:)
  • Options
    the two catholic hospices in leeds are st. gemmas and wheatfields.

and there's a kid's hospice called martin house, but that's not catholic, i don't think.
  • Options
    I thought Gemmas was Catholic, but I didnt want to sound all spazzy:D
  • Options
    heh, i am impressed with your hospice knowledge of leeds.
  • Options
    heh, i am impressed with your hospice knowledge of leeds.

Its what a Catholic education does to ya:D
  • Options
    I think someone may have a new Mastermin special subject.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

Yeah, might do. Beats "ring roads of the rich and famous" though:p
  • Options
    Theres so many. I'd donate to children protection, compton hospice cancer research, church, anything to do with peoples health basically, including their psycho health.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Chav
    including their psycho health.

very sensitively put :p
  • Options
    very sensitively put :p

lol. Ok then, their Psychological Condition :p
  • Options
    I do a gift aid contribution to Bliss.. the charity for premature and special care babies. I do this as my son spent a small amount of time in Special Care when he was born and I saw how badly the extra money was needed.
  • Options
    i give to shelter and cancer uk every month by direct debit. i give money to shelter as it breaks my heart to see people on the street and i have known somone who was homless for a while. i give to cancer research as my aunt had breast cancer and i have friends who have had cancer sufferers in their family.

its funny im diabetic and so is my bro and my fiances mum but i never really think of giving to diabetes uk??????
  • Options
    I support Medicine sans Frontiers which translates as Medicine without frontiers...ie they get medicines to places like Afghanistan and Iraq...pretty much like the red cross. Alo support amnesty and Greenpeace ... I guess I want to help people and the planet.

Any anti torture Charity is a good bet too.

I don't donate to cancer charities because of the animal testing thing but would always help homeless, animal and children.
  • Options
    Personally we donate to the IDF and children who come from poverty struck homes so they can get food at school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

I don't donate to cancer charities because of the animal testing thing .

im not looking for an arguement but would you rather thousands of people died. i dont like the thought of animal testing particulary for cosmetics and shit but without it ide be dead as im diabetic and they tested on animals when they discovered insulin!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    im not looking for an arguement but would you rather thousands of people died. i dont like the thought of animal testing particulary for cosmetics and shit but without it ide be dead as im diabetic and they tested on animals when they discovered insulin! [/QUOTE

Great! but with the amazing advances in medical technology they no longer have to.

I lied though - I do support breat cancer charities. I do get annoyed about smoking and cancer though but what can you do!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    im not looking for an arguement but would you rather thousands of people died. i dont like the thought of animal testing particulary for cosmetics and shit but without it ide be dead as im diabetic and they tested on animals when they discovered insulin!
    Ditto.
    I am sorry. But if it's human against animal, then I'd almost pick human over animal.

Btw, byny, which technology is that?
  • Options
    CAFOD and the NSPCC :)
  • Options
    The NAVS attitude to animal testing really pisses me off.

Animal testing for cosmetics or shampoo is wrong because it is unecessary, but animal testing for drugs that could save peoples lives is completely justifiable, in my opinion.

Because, whichever way you look at it, a human life is more worthwhile than a dogs life or a rats life. The rat and dog would probably disagree, but hey, thatss Darwinism for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Because, whichever way you look at it, a human life is more worthwhile than a dogs life or a rats life. The rat and dog would probably disagree, but hey, thatss Darwinism for you.

I saw this TV documentary where they were showing how you could repair spinal damage on humans. They had rats who's spinal chord had been severred and they injected them with stem cells. The rat regained some motion in it's legs.

I don't know how such an experiment could be performed with technology - and I beleive it was probably an essential step in progress in spinal damage treatment. Sure; people who stick up for animal rights might say it's cruel. But if they lost the ability to walk through spinal damage I think they'd want a cure.

ANYWAY what I'm saying is just to echo what Kermit said, animal testing for cosmetics is bad, animal testing for potentially life-saving/life-altering drugs is ok.