Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coming out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know it must seem like I have been there, done that - and on one level I have - but coming out unfortunately doesn't end the first time you say "I've got something to tell you..."

I'm worried because I told Mum that I'm gay (she asked), but Dad and my younger sister don't (officially) know. Must I tell them? It's over a year since I told Mum and the longer I leave it, the harder it gets.... help!

Picc.
xxx

Comments

• Options
    ask your mom if they know, and if ur goin to find it too hard u could always ask her to have a word

but then im not in ur position so maybe its not quite that easy

good luck neway

xx
  • Options
    Re: Coming out
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I know it must seem like I have been there, done that - and on one level I have - but coming out unfortunately doesn't end the first time you say "I've got something to tell you..."

I'm worried because I told Mum that I'm gay (she asked), but Dad and my younger sister don't (officially) know. Must I tell them? It's over a year since I told Mum and the longer I leave it, the harder it gets.... help!

Picc.
    xxx

I'm not sure what to tell you about how to go about telling your dad and sister, but I know how you feel when it comes to wanting to come out because, well, I'm not a lesbian/gay, but I am bisexual and I know that it was hard for me to come out to the very few people, who I could trust to tell, but, in some ways, I'm glad that I have told them because it's just not all on me and I'm not totally alone in going through this. I have those few friends/people who care about me, enough, that it doesn't bother them at all.

I just wish that I was just able to give you some advice on how to hanle/deal with/go about coming out and such with your sexaulity, but I just wish you the best in whatever you may or may not choose to do in the future. ;)
  • Options
    It's up to you...

Coming out is about you, not about other people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by tittletattle
    ask your mom if they know, and if ur goin to find it too hard u could always ask her to have a word
    Thanks. Knowing my family, though, my sister would freak that I couldn't tell her myself. Maybe I should get drunk....
  • Options
    Do you generally have a good relationship with your sister and father? If so, apart from perhaps some initial shock, their love for you will outweigh any negative feelings that they might have.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    It's up to you...

Coming out is about you, not about other people.

i agree, it is mighty unfair that society makes gay people feel like they have to announce their sexuality, but straight people dont. gud luck piccolo (btw ur name...from dragonball z/gt?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    (btw ur name...from dragonball z/gt?)
    Afraid not, I play the piccolo in orchestra. And I'm short, so I thought ... well I don't know what I thought, actually! :p
  • Options
    see, ive never seen why you have to tell your family (or anybody for that matter)

i told my mum i was bi 5 years ago.

not told my dad. not going to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Afraid not, I play the piccolo in orchestra. And I'm short, so I thought ... well I don't know what I thought, actually! :p

lol :D