Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free Birth Control!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't realise untill recently that in places such as america you have to pay for your monthly packet of pills and have to have a pelvic examination thing before you are prescribed them.

Personally i think by doing this it may discourage people from going on to contracpetion because i know that if i had to have a full pelvic examination and pay for my contraception each month i may have been discouraged and just suck to condoms? although it probably still could work out cheaper, hmmm.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, do you think the UK has the right idea by giving out free birth control, or should people be made to pay for it? Would you be using the method you are using now if you had to pay for it? Would it discourgae you against birth control completly because it might seem to much effort/money :/

Oh and kinda on the subject does anyone know any websites where you can get free condoms or anything? I know you can at th FPA but i live quite away from one so wont be in town untill the new year time, and after a recent scare thing, i like to be extra carfefull now.

:)

Comments

• Options
    Maybe they're just used to the idea of having no NHS, and having to pay for everything in the US?

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    it should remain free. i think the idea of it being free is to limit the number of unwanted pregnancies that can drain more resources from the nhs and government. if you can limit the number of unwanted pregnancies then you can limit the number of abortions done, medical care required and benifits given out.

we dont always realise that we are quite lucky to have the nhs although it doesnt always seem that way. im currently receiving laser treatment on my eyes for a condition and ive had 6 lots of it so far. im sure if i had to pay for it that you would be talking about a grand per session and if i couldnt afford that ide probably be blind................................
    sorry that went off the topic but you get my jist!
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya Mint magnum,
    Although I'm not sure about getting free condoms over the internet you can buy them online (just put condoms into google and you'll find loads of sites). You may, however, also be able to get free condoms from your GP so if they're nearer to you than the local fpa that'd be a good place to start.

Hope that helps some,
    CB
  • Options
    theres a place near my school which hands out free condoms by the bucketload......could be a similar place near to where you live? oh and hospitals with 'drop in' sexual health centres give free condoms too

:)
  • Options
    If you go to a Brook clinic, they are specifically aimed at teenagers and give out condoms no questions asked as well - might prefer that to going to your GP.