Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ummmmm....some questions and stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it was my birthday yesterday1 woo, i'm 16, and can now legally buy cigarettes and have sex, so you can see what a biiiig difference thats gonna make to my life :P

but yeah, about 2 weeks ago i got kicked out of my house by my dad, and dumped by my boyf because he assumed i'd slept with the male friends i've been staying with (which i haven't!), but i;ve been down the council place thingy and theres a chance of me getting a place of my own, and the council paying the rent and me just buying food and stuff. does anyone know about benefits and all that, about what i should/might receive, or how long this kinda thing takes, cos i have somewhere to stay atm but i don't want to outstay my welcome...

pre-emptive cheers
emsie x

Comments

• Options
    Check out this thread started last week by Rude_boyz on the exact same topic.

Housing Questions
  • Options
    Benefits and training for 16 and 17 olds: the facts

Most under 18s not in education can only get money if they undertake training or get a job. Training programmes come under a variety of names like "Modern Apprenticeships", "Lifeskills", "National Traineeships", or "Work based training for Young People". All under 18s are guaranteed a training place. If you are interested you should register at your local careers office. If you have difficulty finding training, you may be given a personal adviser to help you find the right course.

Training

If you are on a training course you should get at least £40 if you are aged 16 or over. Your training provider may pay you more but must not pay you any less. If you are on training, getting the basic allowance and living away from home for a good reason you may able to get your allowance topped up so that it’s the same amount as Income Support.

Income Support

Although most people aged under 18 do not have a right to benefit some young people can claim, it depends on your circumstances. But some 16 and 17 year olds can claim Income Support and do not have to sign on for work or training. These include:

a lone parent
    disabled or too sick to work (you will need a doctor's certificate)
    pregnant and the baby is due within 11 weeks, or at any time if your pregnancy is making you ill
    a recently arrived refugee learning English
    caring for someone who is disabled or sick
    required to attend court
    in full-time education (more than 12 hours) if you are a lone parent, disabled or living away from home for a good reason
    You can claim Income Support using form A1 directly from your local Benefits Agency office. You do not have to register at the Careers Office or Jobcentre for training or work.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

You can get JSA if you are:

part of a couple with a child
    temporarily laid off work but expect to go back to your job within 13 weeks.
    within 8 weeks of going into the armed forces

If you have recently left school or college, you can claim JSA from the end of the holidays after your last term at school or college for up to 3 or 4 months during something known as the ‘Child Benefit Extension Period’ (the CBEP) if you are:

part of a couple and your partner is 16/17and registered for work and training or 18 or older.
    living away from home for a good reason (see below for what this means)
    You can claim JSA for up to 8 weeks if you’ve just left care or custody and you live away from home for a good reason.*

Other circumstances

You may still be able to get JSA if you can show you are suffering ‘severe hardship’. The most common reason for claiming is because you live away from home for a ‘good reason’ and have no money or you live at home but your family cannot support you. Severe Hardship payments are paid for short periods up to 16 weeks.

Claiming JSA

Register with the Careers Service for training and work and they will complete a form ES9 with you. Take the form ES9 to a Jobcentre and they will draw up a ‘Jobseeker’s Agreement’ (form ES7) with you. You sign to agree what kind of work and training you are looking for and the ‘steps’ you will take to find work and training. You must take at least 2 steps a week (one looking for work and one to find training.

You can look for a training course as well as work and the rules say that you can restrict your jobsearch to employers that promise suitable training.

Benefit sanctions

But you could face a loss of benefit if you don’t apply for work and training or if you leave a training course or a job without a good reason or if you lose it for misconduct. Your money can be cut or stopped completely and you may be required to accept work that does not guarantee training.

However, you may
  • Options
    thank you both :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Warmth
    Benefits are cool :)

Im on £174 pounds each other week,
    and i do fuck all but chill out :D

i love the uk, thank you for working for me )hugs(

lol.. don`t worry,when i start back at work the gov
    will get all the money back...

maybe i shouldnt get better :P

Darren.xxx

sO WHY ARE YOU NOT WORKING?
  • Options
    Because i enjoying masterbating,
    and so made out im depressed and now i get
    cash for free, i have £100 on my table (smells good)
    and im getting another £174 today :D

yay me!

Darren.xxx

theres summit to be proud of.
  • Options
    Because i enjoying masterbating,
    and so made out im depressed and now i get
    cash for free, i have £100 on my table (smells good)
    and im getting another £174 today :D

yay me!

Darren.xxx

If you don't have a valid reason you will get slated. Cause i for one hate paying for lazy people!
  • Options
    I would too *nods*

look what free cash looks like

*press the link or whatever* :)

Darren.xxx

If you are trying to be funny, you aren't!
  • Options
    PMSL! warmth is going to cause the collapse of civilisation as we know it ...ya lazy git.
  • Options

Darren.xxx

you make me sick
  • Options

Darren.xxx
    people ...lighten up! i think if you read warmths post he is on the sick and is tempted to stretch his sick note for a while longer thats all. he/she will be going back to work.