Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The dark face of Earth.

The dark face of Earth.
Look here please.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg
I find this NASA's map is extremely interesting and provoking.
It explains a lot but also asks a lot of questions.
Your thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Breath-taking picture LabRat! Cheers.

My first thought was we're losing the night sky forever. Talk about light pollution...

My second thought was (at the risk of getting all philosophical and soppy) that Africa suddenly looks by far the most inviting place to live on the planet. A call of Mother Nature to return to our place of birth. A safe refuge from man-made progress where one can connect back with the earth and find peace.

My last thought was that the Indians like their light bulbs in abundance! ;)
  • Options
    thankyou!
    the freaky bit is that the only economic/political future on offer everywhere ...like a fast food chain is ...produce more, consume more. a bazillion china men are about to start the production lines rolling and consuming. in ten years that picture will look very different.
    the vietnamese are building highways and people like mercedes and vw are big there.
    no one can shout to these people STOP! go back ...look what we're doing. ha ha ...no way. everyone wants a peice of the action. how long can it be sustained? and how? and by whom?
  • Options
    all i can saw is wow, the first thing i saw was america, and in contrast to canada i was just gobsmacked, also i didnt realise europe was so bad
  • Options
    The contrast between north and south korea never fails to amaze me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    The contrast between north and south korea never fails to amaze me.

Indeed, then compare it with the UK...
  • Options
    Look at the Nile!
  • Options
    Hehe, Doen't compare to Belgium's excessively lighted motorways. A closer view would of course make comparisons far easier.
  • Options
    The mid-west of the US looks like that from a plane too, just one big strip mall and not much else.

I definately noticed the difference in light polution when I went to South Africa, the stars there were really impressive, far better than anything you get in this country.
  • Options
    Yeah, I also have fond memories of time in Kenya. Out in the Masai Mara the Southern Cross is stunning.
  • Options
    Look at China, India, Thailand, top left corner of Africa, South of Mexico and Brazil. I’m sure ten yours ago those places were much darker and thirty years ago they were as dark as central Africa.
    The rising New World that we still name ’third’. Like Romans of last years of Empire looked at northern ‘barbarians‘.
  • Options
    it looks like a life being sucked dry to me ...to you lot ...your worried about how much longer will you be able to enjoy the sky?!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it looks like a life being sucked dry to me ...to you lot ...your worried about how much longer will you be able to enjoy the sky?!
    Hell yes... my goodness what are we doing to this earth?! (Say she, sitting at a computer, in an electically-lit room, next to a radiator, listening to a stereo....)
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Hell yes... my goodness what are we doing to this earth?! (Say she, sitting at a computer, in an electically-lit room, next to a radiator, listening to a stereo....)
    not your brightest retort pic.
  • Options
    LabRat, a satellite photo of the lighting of these countries is no argument for the improvement of living conditions of their populaces. All it shows is that the governments have become good consumers of our inductrial suppliers and infrastructure development companies.

Get down on the ground and youll see continued poverty and disenfranchisement rife throughout these nations.

Certainly China's record of individual prosperity is about as glowing as its human rights record.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    not your brightest retort pic.
    I'm not having a bright day. (Was that pun intentional?) I just mean that we all are very happy to be concerned with the environment and conveniently forget that we all exploit resources such as oil through the simple motions we go through each day.

Am I making any sense? If not, I concede that I am having a stupid day and maybe I will be a bit more coherent when I'm not doing coursework simultaneously!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I'm not having a bright day. (Was that pun intentional?) I just mean that we all are very happy to be concerned with the environment and conveniently forget that we all exploit resources such as oil through the simple motions we go through each day.

Am I making any sense? If not, I concede that I am having a stupid day and maybe I will be a bit more coherent when I'm not doing coursework simultaneously!!!
    what worries me is that so few either realise or care. then when we start to realize we are making a mess everywhere ...the rest of the planet suddenly wants to join us! some people actualy believe the environmentalists are saving the world ...what impact have they had on the planet compared with 'our way of life'.
    not a lot.
    the devouring is now accelerating ...headlong?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    LabRat, a satellite photo of the lighting of these countries is no argument for the improvement of living confitions of their populaces. All it shows is that the givernments have become good consumers of our inductrial suppliers and infrastructure development companies.

Get down on the ground and youll see continued poverty and disenfranchisement rife throughout these nations.
    Hence my earlier comments about India. I haven't travelled that much but I can honestly say I've never seen anywhere as shockingly poor as India. Yet the country is lit up like Times Square on New Year's eve.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a similar link for daylight hours?

Have used this a the desktop for my Laptop...
  • Options
    Closer to home, its interesting to compare the Highlands and southern uplands of Scotland with the well-lit central belt. I remember going on a camp in the Galloway forest and noticing how bright the skies were.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Closer to home, its interesting to compare the Highlands and southern uplands of Scotland with the well-lit central belt. I remember going on a camp in the Galloway forest and noticing how bright the skies were.
    The same about NZ and Ukraine!
    50 miles away from cities and industrial areas ( a couple of hours of driving) and you are on some other planet.
    The number of stars is doubling, tripling, multiplying…it’s exciting! Looking at stars I feel…bloody shit, it is unexpressionable! ( xcuse me I don‘t know whether this word exists in English) .. you all felt the same so no words are need.
    Buy a telescope my friends! Highly recommended :)
  • Options
    They say that the only thing visable from space is the Great Wall of China.

This pic sort of prooves that one wrong!!!!

It's scary how much energy we waste, just flooding the heavens.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_smith
    They say that the only thing visable from space is the Great Wall of China.

This pic sort of prooves that one wrong!!!!

It's scary how much energy we waste, just flooding the heavens.

Isnt it the only man made structure visible from space?
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a similar link for daylight hours?

As in a normal map?

Bopz
  • Options
    The lights remind me of some sort of cancerous tumour.
    Says a lot for mankind really.
  • Options
    QUOTE: Isnt it the only man made structure visible from space?

Apparently not, China's first astronaut said that he looked very carefully, but didn't see it!

However, my point is that at night-time, you can see all of humanity's creation, from nomadic fires in the desert to the lights of the big city!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The lights remind me of some sort of cancerous tumour.
    Says a lot for mankind really.

Thats perhaps a tad alarmist isnt it? Mankind hasnt been entirely good to the landscape granted, but I'm not sure turning the lights off and going back to the 1800's would make life any better for us or the other creatures around us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    As in a normal map?

Bopz

No, as in a satellite picture.