Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

peircings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i want to get my nipple peirced but was wonderin wat the likley hood was of it getting infected or anything, also does it hurt? and what is the age for peircings?

Comments

• Options
    ok ive had mine done. I went to a really dodgy place to get mine done, i mean you have to be 18 to get it done but i was only 16 and they didnt even ID me and i looked like such a minor that day.
    Yea it does hurt. but once its healed up and stuff its worth it.
    Ask for a smaller ring because that way your nipple wont do what mine did and look in disproportiion to the other one.
    It will get infected if you dnt stick to cleaning it. dnt pick at it and just let it do its thing.
    Your pericer should tell youall this too.

Just make sure you go to a good place to get it done and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Here's a few pointers to bear in mind..

Before committing yourself, talk to the piercer about their techniques.

Although there is no legislation controlling body piercing, some piercers are regulated by their local authority. This means they must adhere to certain standards in order to receive an official certificate. If in doubt, ask!

The use of injectable anaesthetics in the practice of body piercing is also currently illegal. Sprays and gels are often used, but an element of pain is inevitable.

Always follow the piercer's advice about after care.

Hope it all goes well, and doesn't hurt too much!
    Love Lu x
  • Options
    my mates sister said i coudnt get it dun because i havent stopped growing yet, is that true?
  • Options
    Most places won't pierce anything other than ears and maybe nose without the consent an adult if you're under 17. You shouldn't go somewhere dodgy - go somewhere reputable with the proper certification, and take an older friend with you if (as I'd assume you don't) you don't want to take a parent.

As for the 'does it hurt' question, my answer would be 'what do you think?' People always ask me this about my belly button piercing and I just say well of course it hurt, someone stuck a needle through my flesh. But the end result was worth it. If you really really want your nipple done then I think the pain would be bearable - end justifying the means and all that. Personally the thought of it just makes me shudder but hey it's up to you.
  • Options
    How old are you may i ask? cos then yea the whole "your still growing" thing may be a small issue, but really your nipple dnt tend to grow that much and if you have boobs then your nipples will already have stopped growing.And as for the comment you made, LSS, haveing a needle stuck though ur flesh isnt really that good of an argument as when i had my tongue it didnt hurt at all:p
  • Options
    im nearly 15, what do you think i should do?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by logic 3
    im nearly 15, what do you think i should do?

i think you should wait. no reputable piercist would do it, im sure and because it is your nipple i think you should avoid dodgy piercists, unclean needles and the like. wait a bit and then you can be sure that you want it done too :)
  • Options
    Your not old enough babe.
  • Options
    Fair point Zella but still, of course getting your belly button pierced hurts at least a little bit - it's a fairly big chunk of skin it goes through. I just find it funny when people ask 'did it hurt' cos well, of course it did.

I think 15 might be ok to get it done, depending on how much growing you still have to do. I'm 19 and I'm still pretty much the same size as I was when I was 15 (I was a tall 15 year old and I'm an average sized 19 year old now) But of course you can't really know. Unless you're really tall now and think your growing days are over then don't do it for a while. Also if you do get it done you HAVE to go somewhere reputable and anywhere reputable will want an adult's permission, if they'll do it at all.
  • Options
    At 15 you're too young to be pierced in the UK without parental/guardian consent. At 16 you can get pierced, though it would be a good idea to have some ID with you when you do, just in case.
    Yes, it'll hurt. Some people don't feel a thing, or don't feel much, but to others it's extremely painful. There's no way of knowing how much it'll hurt until you get it done. In other words, everybody is different - even if they don't find one piercing painful, they might find the next one hurts like hell. There's no way of telling.
    In the meantime, read up about piercings at www.bmezine.com

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I wouldnt say they would become diformed as such, just a lil bigger than normal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Groovaybaby*
    in alot of cases it does. the scars wud be left and the nipple could become deformed.
    Well, I've had both re-pierced, and each time I removed the piercing to let it heal up it went back to normal. There were only tiny marks left, and most people wouldn't have noticed them, or known what they were. In time they would've faded too, and nobody would know any better. And that's despite the fact they'd both migrated (moved through the skin).

I also work with a girl who used to have some interesting ear piercings, none of which can be seen now they've healed over, and both nostrils pierced - again, you couldn't see where they used to be.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't depend how long you've had them as to if they leave a mark or not?