Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it normal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Saw "bowling for Columbine" last nite....pretty messed up stuff and it got me thinking who (that i know) would be the most likely to do something like that. i dunno is it normal, but myself and my buddy spent last sunday evening in our college apartment pretending/(talking about) shooting people coming back from home. (we live on the top floor overlooking the entrance, lovely location for a sniper.....). I think it stems from Grand theft auto 3 and similar games. Is it normal though to basically fantasise about something so grotestegue? I dont think we are psycho or anything....just wondering do anyone else think like that?

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I do not think what you've described is at all normal, no.

If I understand correctly you are imagining a scenario whereby you shoot innocent people?
  • Options
    i have some over powered air rifles ...expensive collectables that are used for target shooting and rabbit hunting ...never have i held one of these rifles and fantasised about shooting a person!
    how can it possibly be normal? me thinks some of these games have effected some of the people ...something must put this kind of rubbish in your heads ...we are what we eat ...so the saying goes. it also applies to what we mentaly digest ...what we visualy take in ...i take in forrests and mountains and coastline on mostly a daily basis ...and does it do my spirit good! i used to visualy take in traffic, concrete and millions of people ...what i visualy eat now has made me a healthier person ...
    a diet of violent images ...violent plans ...violent sucsess and vioelent achievement ...can be a good thing?
  • Options
    Yeah, better lock away your Playstation before it's too late - 'cause computer games really do make you psycho ya know.

Better bin those heavy metal CDs while you're at it.
  • Options
    hey its kinda gone outta proportion now....firstly we didnt think of them as innocent human beings with mothers and fathers and all the rest. just randomnly picking out people. and it was with our eyes and not high-powered what-cha-ma-call-its. i thought it was pretty innocent at the time, although having watched that film last nite it got me thinking. I dont really play video games moroccan_roll but it has been a while since i was in my natural habitat out in the sticks....
  • Options
    Originally posted by KrazyKlown
    I dont really play video games moroccan_roll but it has been a while since i was in my natural habitat out in the sticks....
    not having a go at you klown ...and neither am i saying
    that all violent entertainment makes all people violent but ... i'm sure i don't need to say again what i said above!
  • Options
    hey its kinda gone outta proportion now....firstly we didnt think of them as innocent human beings with mothers and fathers and all the rest. just randomnly picking out people. and it was with our eyes and not high-powered what-cha-ma-call-its. i thought it was pretty innocent at the time, although having watched that film last nite it got me thinking. I dont really play video games moroccan_roll but it has been a while since i was in my natural habitat out in the sticks....

Klown, I don't think Kiezo was serious. BumbleBee was, but she's a worrier.

What you were doing is just what normal bored kids do. Yes, it's almost definitely the fault of PlayStation and its ilk, but for the vast majority of people, those are balanced out by a healthy dose of good Christian morals.

Of all the people I've ever known, I can think of two or three that are most likely to do such a thing. Two were Russian, one was a Yankee. Odd coincidence.
  • Options
    Re: Is it normal?
    Saw "bowling for Columbine" last nite....pretty messed up stuff and it got me thinking who (that i know) would be the most likely to do something like that. i dunno is it normal, but myself and my buddy spent last sunday evening in our college apartment pretending/(talking about) shooting people coming back from home. (we live on the top floor overlooking the entrance, lovely location for a sniper.....). I think it stems from Grand theft auto 3 and similar games. Is it normal though to basically fantasise about something so grotestegue? I dont think we are psycho or anything....just wondering do anyone else think like that?

Personally I think its quite shocking that you can watch such a thought provoking documentary and all you can find to discuss is which person would be most likely to shoot some people in a school?

It was about so much more than that!!
  • Options
    Fantasising about violence... well if you're a writer then get it down on paper. Don't just let good sick thought go to waste.
  • Options
    Completely normal, i do it all the time....
    Get yourself hitman 2 - some great ideas.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Munchie Face
    Completely normal, i do it all the time....
    Get yourself hitman 2 - some great ideas.

remind me never to visit where ever the hell your from :eek2:
  • Options
    reminder - don't ever visit where i'm from......
  • Options
    Re: Re: Is it normal?
    Originally posted by byny
    Personally I think its quite shocking that you can watch such a thought provoking documentary and all you can find to discuss is which person would be most likely to shoot some people in a school?

It was about so much more than that!!

Actually i watched the documentary a week after we did the whole "lets pretend to shoot everyone to pieces routine" and having seen the film i became worried whether because i displayed psychotic inclinations if that in any way indicated that i would actually live them out. I thought by seeing if other ppl thought the same way as we did then maybe it wasnt so bad....having seeing what some ppl think is certainly making reconsider. And i agree that the program had several interesting points the most notable one being the scare mongering by the media..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Personally, I do not think what you've described is at all normal, no.

Kids do it all the time with toy guns.

There's nothing wrong with using your imagination, there's no such thing as the thought police. I can use my imagination right now to visualise shooting somebody and it's quite easy to do becasue I know it's not real. In the real world I'd find it impossible to kill anybody without a very very good reason.

I think it's quite 'normal' - whatever that is anyway! :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think everyone's getting a bit PC about this.
    Everybody has weird thoughts and fantasies. Those include who they'd like to meet, who they'd like to shag, and who they'd like to shoot!
    They're just fantasies. The result of an active imagination. Everyone has them. They're harmless. They're not the fault of video games, or the Internet, or films, or videos, or books - and all of those have been blamed for all of societies ills at some point in history.
    The difference is between those who know what's right and wrong, and know they're fantasies, and those very rare unbalanced and distrurbed individuals who don't.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I do it all the time. Not serious, as in actually planning how I'd make alibys and stuff, but heh I have an active imagination. I find hiding places and imagine all the people I would shoot. Well not so much anymore I guess - I don't like guns - as many of you know there have been many incidents in Leicester recently.

I do imagine using The Force to throw people around though :D
  • Options
    Hey, I still don't think it is normal. As for referring to me as a "worrier" - you don't know me so how would you know?