Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brand Names

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which brand name do you spend the most on or have the biggest or least respect for ?

I don't tend to be loyal to any kind of brand except when it comes to building computers then I always seem to buy AMD rather then Intal but that's probably more to do with better or same performance for a lot less money.

I like M&S Products - I think their food is really nice - much better then most supermarkets and although their clothes brand isn't anything special name wise I do like construction and materials they use like the way they put Lycra in their jeans to make then a little stretchy which makes them so much more comfortable then a lot of jeans I've worn before.

For electronics I tend to stay away from Sony these days as they offer very little product support - they just bring ut product after product with no support for previous items they brought out, like mobile phone or PC's. And since they own a music company and movie studio they always go well beyond other companies to put copy protection stuff into their MP3 players, DVD Players, etc.

Comments

• Options
    old holborn.
    carlsberg.
  • Options
    Nokia and Malboro Lights
  • Options
    Garnier
    BP Oil
    Tesco
    Safeway
    J Sainsbury's

I don't really have many product loyalties, but like Diamond Geezer I like St Michael's food.

Edited to add: I dislike the companies listed above. =)
  • Options
    Ooh, shitski. Here goes:

Nokia
    Apple
    Timberland
    Dockers
    Calvin Klein
    Martini
    Grolsch
    Carlsberg
    Vittel
    Axe/Lynx
    Belkin
    Migros
    Audi
    BMW
    VW

Shit. I'm a slave to the brands, aren't I? This doesn't mean I'll always by these brands - for example, I'll choose Dell over Apple simply on price grounds, and obviously I'm not up to buying Audis, BMWs or VWs, but these are brands I recognise as being quality products and would be willing to pay a premium for them.
  • Options
    Yes, I am a brandwhore regarding most aspects.
  • Options
    I like to think I'm not a brand-conscious person, but I do avoid the following:
    Gap (and Old Navy)
    Nike

Generally try to shop in charity shops anyhoo because (a) the money goes to a good cause and (b) you can never be 100% sure that the big company you're buying from doesn't use sweatshops in poorer parts of the world, so it's easier to avoid them. I won't buy Gap stuff with "Gap" emblazened across it even from a charity shop, though, because it's promoting a brand that I can't condone!
  • Options
    i spend most of my money on benson and hedges!!

though im a sucker for faith shoes and playboy stuff
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Yes, I am a brandwhore regarding most aspects.

Really??

I'm totally shocked - if there was one girl on this site I thought wouldn't pay attention to Brands it was you
    :eek2:
  • Options
    M&S - oh yes. The meat, the veg, the chocolate, the sweets everything really

Also:
    GAP
    Next
    Reefer
    Nintendo

I hate:

Nokia
    Sony
    FC:UK
    And all sports brands
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Really??

I'm totally shocked - if there was one girl on this site I thought wouldn't pay attention to Brands it was you
    :eek2:

Is that a compliment?

What would make you think that?

Truth is, I am sucker for brands. The brands I go after are usually of better quality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Is that a compliment?

What would make you think that?

Truth is, I am sucker for brands. The brands I go after are usually of better quality.

Yeah is was kinda a compliment.

But you better given examples of the brands you mean and why you say the quality is better.

That the same argument my friend gives me as well but he don't know what he's talking about have the time - I'm sure you have better reasons then he does.

Like we went to buy salt and he picked up a brand called LO-SALT cos of the brand name - but when I looked onthe ingredients it was only 30% salt and the rest was potassium or soemthing like that - so most of it wasn't even salt.
  • Options
    Jack Daniels :D
  • Options
    i try and avoid gap, although I do have some jeans made by them. I dont totally boycott them but I probably wont buy any more of their stuff. I dont buy anything by Nestle.
    Im not loyal to any particular brand, but id rather buy things made by smaller companies than by huge multinationals.
  • Options
    Like DiamondGeezer AMD are good and i prefer them i also try and stick to ATI/NIVIDA if i can and i absolutly love CREATIVE and labtec are ok..

as for cloath im not a brand person..yes i wear them but i buy them for what they look like not a little logo thats means shit to me..
  • Options
    god they give us that lo-salt stuff at school. its vile on chips.

as for brands, i'll always buy vans trainers as they last me ages
    apart from that there isnt really anything.

oh apart from ofrex permo-markers (just for gav hehe) cos they are perfect chewing size. (that sounded so wrong)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Henri Lloyd make the best jackets on the planet
    Reebok Classics
    Rockport Boots
    Ben Sherman
    Fred Perry

Stella
    Strongbow
    Lambert&Butler
    Golden Virginia
    Northan Lights
    Mitsibishi's

Remington electric shavers
    Apple
    Nokia
    Numark
    Stanton
    Technics
    Wharfdale

Honda and Husky Bikes
    Alpha Romeo
    Volvo

...all stuff that I like! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

Like we went to buy salt and he picked up a brand called LO-SALT - but when I looked onthe ingredients it was only 30% salt and the rest was potassium or soemthing like that - so most of it wasn't even salt.
    err ...thats why it's called lo-salt.
    healthier and all that.
  • Options
    Stella and Fairy
  • Options
    wow, paperBprincess, i always thought you were older than me... like 21 or something... mad :confused:

anyhoo. i like nike trainers cuz they last ages :) i've had my current pair since i was about 13. erm... don't really know about any others...

i wouldn't shop at gap, either. though that's partly because i just don't like the clothes.
  • Options
    I dont particulary go for brands but if they are on special offers and in sales i do get tempted.

I love M&S stuff and because I work at a M&S store i get 20% off!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    err ...thats why it's called lo-salt.
    healthier and all that.

Not really healthier just fake salt!! They replace two thirds of the Sodium with Potassium. They charge like 4 times the amount for 1/3 the amount of the active ingredient. So why not just buy regular salt and use a lot less?

At the end of the day without salt in our system we'd die. It's all about balance.

But what I'm talking about is people not enhancing their understanding and knowledge beyound the brand name to actually understand what it is they are purchasing.

I so often hear people say they buy brand names because it's better quality but when I ask how is the quality better many people have no answer. Plus many big brand names are made in real sweat shops in poor nations ans many use young children that should be in school to make the good for them.
  • Options
    wont buy from gap, (sweat shop thingy)

i will never buy, and have no respect for anyone who wears burberry
  • Options
    I'm not too concerned with labels for clothes but I'll always try and buy Reef trainers because they last fucking ages!! I've had mine present pair for two years and they're still fine!

I'll also buy a lot of Tennents basically because it's usually on offer for around 50p a can :rolleyes:

There's nothing I would actively boycott but I stay away from GAP, Nike, Nescafe etc anyway.