Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

free net/music/ etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heres something i am interestred to know what you al think. hopefully everyone who reads this will leave there opinion...*please*

I read something somewhere else and its got me thinking...

Should we have free internet in britain ??? What do you think about this topic ?
Should we be able to download mp3's and movies off the net free as well....and all the legal neccessities that go with it too...whats your opinion on this too..on downloading things for free off the net....currently doing that is breaking the law..what do you think about it ??
Wether its true or not i dont know but i was once told in america they have free internet access, does anyone know if this is true or not ??? Id like to know..
Whats your opinions on all this stuff "stealing" songs etc ??

Comments

• Options
    Re: free net/music/ etc
    Originally posted by ®
    Heres something i am interestred to know what you al think.
    Whats your opinions on all this stuff "stealing" songs etc ??
    I don't have any music on my computer that can't be found on an officially released CD sitting upstairs in my room.

How is that 'stealing' songs?

Personally, I have enough respect for the bands I listen to to buy their albums and other releases as I know how much hard work has gone into producing them.
  • Options
    I don't have any music on my computer that can't be found on an officially released CD sitting upstairs in my room.

I think he means downloading music from the net which is theft of copyright. Don't matter if you already that song... you download and you break the law.

The record industry makes enough money out of people who have brought their music for years.. time to take a little from them now. P Diddy was complaing that because of people downloading his music for free he only made 10 million instead of 15. Big.fucking.wow. I'm sure he won't miss an extra 5 million. If he does, his just as greedy as every other muso out there. I don't care if people download MP3s/movies... in fact I do think it's a good idea that people download new artists music for free as it's great promotion and hardcore music lovers will probaly buy a legit copy. If they like it, they buy.. if they don't like it they don't play it. I have downloaded a fews track from someone I've never really heard of before and thought hmmm, good tunes... I'll buy their album. I also would think about signing up for the Napster service as well. I'm not to fussed about buying tunes at like 50p per track or sign up for a year and pay them like 50 quid or what ever it is. It's a very good idea.
    Should we have free internet in Britain ???

What would be a good idea is if people on our towns/county's pay x amount a year and for that we can use the Internet when ever we like for as long as we like. At the moment I'm happy paying 10 quid a month for unentered access.
  • Options
    Stealing music? Great fan of it. Movies too, come to think of it. Oh, I'd buy them, just you wait until I _have_access_to_that_service. Give me iTune Store anyday. Once I've bought the music, I want to do whatever the hell I want with it, not the joke that is MSN Music - windows media format, so it won't work on my iPod, and I'm limited with what I can do with the song anyway.

The music industry has had more than long enough to tap into the resource that is the internet, and they've failed to do it effectively. They misread the movement entirely - people aren't stealing and feeling guilty about it, they're stealing because they're spiteful of the music industry that has ripped them off for so long.

But that doesn't mean we should revel in stealing from them. What we do is still illegal, and that should always be in the back of your mind. More so with movies, although that isn't nearly as widespread, and the move industry is making more money than ever off DVDs these days.

However, like all populist reactionary movements, the music industry should be moving to accomodate us, not to stamp us out. And finally, they're doing that. They're lowering the prices of CDs - marginally, but it's a step in the right direction. They're setting up online music services that are acceptable to the consumer, although they still need to find a way to tap into the credit-cardless market. And I hope you all embrace the solutions as they arrive, because, for better or worse, the music industry relies on the consumer, and yes, you, the consumer, rely on the music industry. Remember it works both ways. Not all your favourite artists will produce music without a several million dollar windfall.

</preaching>

What you think you heard about the internet in America is bollocks. What you probably heard is that they historically have an unmetered (rather than unentered, Felix) local call phone charge. So they would pay a connection fee and nothing further. This occured in Australia too, but they changed it very quickly when they realised how much money they were using.

Free internet doesn't work. People need to learn that the internet is not free. It doesn't just materialise. It requires labour to set up and run and grow. Labour demands that it gets renumerated for the time it takes to set up and run. Where does this renumeration come from? Well, in every other business in the world, it comes from the consumer, and that's what it should be online too. The internet will spread over time anyway - as our generation grows up and has kids, the demographic spread of the 'net will reach near saturation point: everyone that wants the internet will have it.

If, somehow, you could find a way to make free internet work? Well, yes, free internet access for all, of course. But if you could find a way for everyone to have free bread, I'd advocate that too. Unfortunately, in a capitalist society, it just doesn't happen.

Still, a nice thought. Sorry about the long rant.