Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hardware

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it true that after a while the hardware in your PC starts to deterierate (sp?)?

Because my pc used to be really good but lately the perfprmance has gone down a lot....I even formatted but that didnt help much!

Comments

• Options
    The hardware shouldn't to the point you notice a problem.

As you use the machine you install software create files etc, you will be using more and more of the machines resources. If you want to improve the performance to its original try formatting the computer and reinstalling all the operating system (prolly Winodws) and software again.

Mostly its all in your head, you just notice that other peoples machines run faster, software is more demanding. It all makes you think your computer is getting slower when its actually your expectation that is changing.

Well thats my 2 cents
  • Options
    Do you defragment often?
  • Options
    If the harddrive is bigger than 40Gb I doubt its fesable. Lots of people dont do full surface scans of the disk before defraggin and without the surface scan you could write to bad sectors of the disk, especially with an old disk.

It would take days!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    If the harddrive is bigger than 40Gb I doubt its fesable. Lots of people dont do full surface scans of the disk before defraggin and without the surface scan you could write to bad sectors of the disk, especially with an old disk.

It would take days!

Not really. For a start it will only have to move data, not blank space, and it's rare for people to have huge disks full of data.

We defrag 160 G + disks at work and it takes maybe a few hours.
  • Options
    Iv recently formatted and reinstalled windows, but it seems slower than when i first built the machine....

It used to run "Enter The Matrix" with no problem, now the game dont work at all!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Not really. For a start it will only have to move data, not blank space, and it's rare for people to have huge disks full of data.

We defrag 160 G + disks at work and it takes maybe a few hours.

Its not the defrag which uses the time, its the scandisk's surface scan. If you fail to do a surface scan bad sectors on the disk may still be undetermined and so a defag may move the data onto one of these undetected bad sectors. The older the disk the more likely you are to hit undetected bad sectors.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Iv recently formatted and reinstalled windows, but it seems slower than when i first built the machine....

It used to run "Enter The Matrix" with no problem, now the game dont work at all!

That's probably a driver issue. Have you reinstalled directx and your latest graphics card drivers?
  • Options
    I have downloaded the most recent graphics drivers and i have direct x 9.0 on it....

I have made sure all the drivers work fine, but still no luck!

To be honest, 256mb RAM on a WinXP machine dont go too well does it!

I was thinking of getting a 512mb stick of RAM, should help things shouldnt it?
  • Options
    Whats the full spec of your machine??
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    I have downloaded the most recent graphics drivers and i have direct x 9.0 on it....

I have made sure all the drivers work fine, but still no luck!

To be honest, 256mb RAM on a WinXP machine dont go too well does it!

I was thinking of getting a 512mb stick of RAM, should help things shouldnt it?

It might.

See if you can patch the game too. Maybe it has issues with directx 9. In fact I seem to remember something about that.
  • Options
    AMD Duron 1ghz
    256mb pc133 sd ram
    20gb hard drive
    64mb ge force graphics card
    on bard sound

il check to see about this patch