Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Danish Paedophile Association and freedom of speech

There was a story in Sky this morning about a British man jailed in Denmark for murdering a paedophile who had molested his daughter and escaped prosecution. The report went on to talk about the perceived lenient attitude the Danish authorities have towards paedophilia.

They cited as an example an organisation called The Danish Paedophile Association, which has legal status and its own website for "discussion, counselling and information" regarding paedophilia.

I checked it online and sure enough the website exists. There are no indecent images of children or any illegal material, just discussion about the act of paedophilia.

So is it okay to allow such people to run a website legally? Unhappy as I am at the trivialisation of such a crime, I must say that they are not breaking any laws just by expressing their thoughts. Still, I can't see that happening here: imagine if someone tried to set up a British Paedophile Association website...

Below is the link to the website (mods, nothing illegal about this website so I guess it's okay to post link, but please remove link if you think otherwise):

* see comments for removal

Do you think the law should allow such websites to exist?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not sure. Im all for free speech, because unless it actually harms someone then you should be allowed to say what you want and when you want.

This particular group seem to fall in that category, my real problems come with groups such as the MBLA in the US, who try and claim that men having sex with young boys, often either pre-pubescent or early pubescent, is perfectly normal and natural, and that they shold allowed ot do what they want when they want.

Its a tough one, as it is with all these issues of free speech. I think that people should be allowed to spout whatever bigoted rubbish that they want, as it is very difficult to incite someone to believe differently to what they already believe anyway.
  • Options
    Okay the link has been removed so I thought I'd let you know why.

Firstly, any website that is linked to has to be considered not just because of it's own content but the content it links to - some of the links from the website go well beyond what would be acceptable

Secondly, we need to consider the whole user base of TheSite.org which does include people below 16 years old and the viewpoint of the website in question brings up serious concerns for those users.

Thirdly, we need to consider the position taken by this charity. As a youth aimed organisation, despite the free speech arguments, the link would place the whole organisation in a some what vulnerable position.
  • Options
    Sorry for any trouble Jim.