Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mobile phone ban: Road Safety or just another tax?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bearing in mind that you can still use a phone as long as its in a cradle it sounds pointless, I mean your still allowed to send texts.

Picture it, head on collision caused by the driver trying to work out how to put the exclamation mark....but the phone was in a cradle.

If they were being serious they would have made drivers using a phone at all illegal.

Comments

• Options
    According to their own preaching, the authorities should ban the use of mobile phones, end of. According to some studies a person who has had a 'bad' phone call (for instance an argument with the wife or a bollocking from the boss) will suffer from severe lack of concentration and delayed reaction times for up to 10 minutes after the call was ended.

So in such cases it doesn't make much of a difference whether you're using a hands-free system.

I don't happen to agree with a total ban though. I agree with a ban on people handling their mobiles while driving, be for making calls or checking text messages. But hands-free calls are no risk. If we are concerned with people getting upset and distracted we should ban people from thinking as well while on the wheel.
  • Options
    Re: Mobile phone ban: Road Safety or just another tax?
    Originally posted by godscop
    Bearing in mind that you can still use a phone as long as its in a cradle it sounds pointless, I mean your still allowed to send texts.

If the phone is in a cradle, but then if you aren't paying attention to the road the police can get you for "without due care" law which already existed and was used for phones originally...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But hands-free calls are no risk.

Not true. Anything which detracts from concentration on the road ahead is a risk.

You wouldn't believe the amount of accidents caused by people changing their tapes... Which, of course, brings yet another question...

On the whole, I have zero problem with this law.
  • Options
    I know the police can take a zero-tolerance approach towards other activities... for instance a woman was once fined for drinking water from a bottle while the car was doing 5mph on a jammed London street.

The police attitude at the time was: "if the car is moving you should be paying attention to driving alone, and both your hands should be employed for driving only."

I just about might agree if you're travelling on a motorway at 70 mph. But being fined for drinking while crawling along a street seems well excessive.

On principle I don’t have any problems with the new law either. I wouldn’t be too pleased if I were fined for, say, checking a message while I’m doing a stop-start 3mph crawl though.
  • Options
    I dont see any problem with this law. Ask any motorcyclist what the biggest danger they face is and its some tosser who "didnt see them" because he was too busy yakking on his sodding mobile phone. The texting issue is different, but the existing driving without due care law would still have to suffice.

This new law was mostly brought in to allow on-the-spot fines, and that I am all for. People need to learn that they cannot drive whilst holding a mobile telephone, and if their pockets have to be taught the lesson then so be it.

As for the conversation thing, its not just phones, its talking full stop. But driving whilst on a hands-free unit is the same as talking to passengers, so unless we ban passengers from a car too the law is fine as it stands.
  • Options
    It's common sense to ban holding a mobile while driving and it's about time it's been brought it.
    Hand's free kits/speaker phones shouldn't be banned because then we may as well ban radio's.
  • Options
    Its a good law, how often is a call that important that it can't wait for people to pull over and call back.

Aladdin, speed makes no difference in my eyes, I've been in two accidents and have lived with back pain for the last three years by people who were driving under the speed limit but were not paying attention.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Aladdin, speed makes no difference in my eyes, I've been in two accidents and have lived with back pain for the last three years by people who were driving under the speed limit but were not paying attention.

Aye, and even on a less serious note my uncles car had £2000 of damage done to it by some tit on a mobile phone driving into the back of him at 5mph cos he wasnt watching the road.

Though if I got done £30 for checking a text message when my car was STATIONARY then Id feel aggrieved.
  • Options
    If the engines turned off, I would have thought you would be ok.
  • Options
    I daresay most of us who have a licence know the difference of holding something while driving, and not doing it. A mobile, a bottle you are drinking from or whatever, it makes it harder for a person to respond to something unexpected so in my book this law is just.

Not quite sure if sending texts is illegal up here or only talking on the phone though.. both are just as bad.

But all in all, I'm in favor of this kind of law. :)
  • Options
    I'm in favor of banning hand-held phones while driving. They can be distracting, but then so can other things like drinking coffee, fiddling with the radio etc.

I'll never forget the woman I saw in California reading the paper while she drove. :eek2: :crazyeyes :eek:
  • Options
    I'm sick of people driving and using their phone, holding it one hand and trying to drive with the other.
    And it's always fucking buisnessmen or builders, and they always think that for some reason they are the best drivers in the world.
    One guy pipped his horn AT ME because I wouldn't let him cut in front of me and he tried to do it anyway. Arsehole had been on his phone for over a mile on a busy main road in the city centre.
  • Options
    forget phones, what about passengers

it occured to me that the radio, music, loud music and even passengers affect concentration. how long before these are banned from cars?
  • Options
    Re: forget phones, what about passengers
    Originally posted by hobbs
    it occured to me that the radio, music, loud music and even passengers affect concentration. how long before these are banned from cars?

A copper on the local news made a good point though about passengers- passengers can see what is going on in the road ahead, and if a section requiring concentration comes up then they generally shut up- people on the phone dont know and dont shut up.