Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Epilators

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are they any good? Worth the money?

That is all. :)

Comments

• Options
    YES!
    Have only used epilators thanks to my mom. First time the pinching really annoys you, but the third time it really doesn't bother you.
    Easier to handle than wax, but lasts just as long.

I have converted my friends to using epilators as well.
  • Options
    Absolutely! Like waxing, but less money in the long term (than going to a salon). Can't recommend enough!
  • Options
    this mite sound so dumb....but what are they?
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    this mite sound so dumb....but what are they?
    Like shaving machines for legs, just that they pluck the hair outs. Very efficient.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Like shaving machines for legs, just that they pluck the hair outs.

:eek2: sounds painful!
  • Options
    they are fannnnnnnnnntastic. yuh huh.
    I've had one since they first started on infomercials.
    I've got a great one that also comes with a shaver head. they rock. yes they do. buy one now
  • Options
    ummm mite be a silly question but can it only be used on ur legs or is it ok for more, uh, 'sensitive' areas ??
  • Options
    Does it hurt less than tweezing-as if its plucking the hair out? I have a fairly high pain tolerance and am getting sick of shaving stubble! Do you have to wait for them to grow long like with waxing-cus thats why I don't wax!
  • Options
    lil one, yes you can use it for bikini, under arms, face, bum, fanny etc. well you can with most. emjoi gentley's are fab.

Jowolvo, you do not have to wait like waxing. you can do it as soon as any hair returns and it lasts as long/longer as waxing. it's like tweezing but better cos it's much faster.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    lil one, yes you can use it for bikini, under arms, face, bum, fanny etc. well you can with most. emjoi gentley's are fab.

Jowolvo, you do not have to wait like waxing. you can do it as soon as any hair returns and it lasts as long/longer as waxing. it's like tweezing but better cos it's much faster.
    can you use a normal size epilator on your face? i dont have a tache or anything, was jus wonderin if it would not be a bit awkward
  • Options
    My mum has one. I'm too scared though incase it hurts. Yes I'm a wimp!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    My mum has one. I'm too scared though incase it hurts. Yes I'm a wimp!

I bought one.

It hurts. :crying:
  • Options
    Yes they're great. They do hurt but it gets much much less painful after a few times, and it lasts for ages and you can use it even when the hairs are short.

But my problem is that mine's REALLY REALLY noisy, and I live in University halls with paper-thin walls and I'm quite worried that if I use mine, people will think I'm using some industrial strength vibrator in my room... :eek2:
  • Options
    Like waxing but more controlled and you don't get the whole wax-sticking-to-the-skin thing, so all the pain just comes from the hairs themselves being plucked out. Once they've been plucked a few times they get weaker and come out more easily anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    But my problem is that mine's REALLY REALLY noisy, and I live in University halls with paper-thin walls and I'm quite worried that if I use mine, people will think I'm using some industrial strength vibrator in my room... :eek2:

:lol:

gawd that tickled me.

the thing to do is walk out of your room holding said device, and say loudly, 'God, this epilator is SO noisy, i'm sure you must all think i've got a vibrator in there.'
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :lol:

gawd that tickled me.

the thing to do is walk out of your room holding said device, and say loudly, 'God, this epilator is SO noisy, i'm sure you must all think i've got a vibrator in there.'
    and then whenever you use your vibrator, you can pretend you were shaving your legs.
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna invest in one after xmas. Which is recommended-value for money AND good quality?
  • Options
    I have a Phillips Satinelle 'super sensitive' one (I just hope they don't make a 'not-so-sensitive' one because mine hurts quite enough thank you very much).

I used mine for the first time in ages today (been shaving recently because it's so much quicker). It did hurt. I can't lie to you. But I think if you use it regularly it becomes easier. And the long-lasting smoothness is definitely worth the brief amount of pain.