Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What Makes An Actor Truly Great?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What qualities do you look at in an actor and say they are are great or a legend? And that their acting ability is really good?

And who fits the bill?

And what makes a bad actor?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion I think what seperates a great actor from the others is their ability to bring added depth and character to their roles. Like Jack Nicholson (my personal favourite) in The Shining added in the "Heeeere's Johnny!" part in at the last moment himself and completely made that film.

Bad actors, or ones who make no impression, are I think ones who bring nothing to their role and just run through their lines without adding anything more to it.
  • Options
    Ones who you can say: "Yeah, it's got so-in-so in it, it'll be a fantastic film!"

These are the results of them - as Time said - who make really impressionable performances where you can totally associate the actor/ess to their style of acting. You know they'll carry themselves wonderfully in every performance they give, really.
  • Options
    The ability to adapt in to many different roles, Bradd Pitt fits this.

He is one of my fave actors, as is Keanu Reeves, Al pacino and Jack nicholson (sp) There are loads but cant think at the moment. Oh I also like Jude Law :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    The ability to adapt in to many different roles, Bradd Pitt fits this.

Actually yeh I agree with that too, it's something Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are very good at doing when you look beyond their pretty boy images in the media. I respect them for that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Like Jack Nicholson (my personal favourite) in The Shining added in
    Jack is fantastic, I love his performance in 'As good as it gets' fully deserved oscar.
    My other favs are Joe Pesci, Al Pacino, Samuel L Jackson.
    Agreed that Brad Pitt is very good too.
  • Options
    A good actor can almost make me forget im watching a character and make me feel the emotions that he or she is acting..

like angelina :) the amount shes made me cry in her films!
  • Options
    An actor is truly great when he/she can adapt to the role fully.
    When you watch the movie, and don't associate them with other roles they've had or their image, but simply as the person they're playing.

Just watched Dirty Pretty Things, and Audrey Tatou completely blew me away.
    That girl is a fantastic actress. She played her role so well. And it was so different from Amelie. You'd expect to see some king of similarities, but there wasn't.
    Even the facial expressions were different. She's great.

On the other hand Julia Roberts is an awful actress. She acts the same way in all of her movies, and never transforms into her role (except from Pretty Woman). Which makes one think that maybe she doesn't act. but really is like that.
  • Options
    What made me think of this was watching the new version of planet of the Apes.as they were all in Monkey suits the acting ability had to go beyond the surface to be seena nd for me Tim Roth who played the badie was the best actor in the whole movie -

I think Nicole Kidman is getting a lot of praise for recent movies - although not seen any of her latest work.

Although I also really enjoy watching totally unknown actors - as I don't have to think they're someone famous and can just see them as their characters.
  • Options
    hmm yeah what others said...versatility.

Johnny Depp is the most versatile, fantastic actor ever. I hope the rumours that he's gonna play Willy Wonka

And he looks quite nice too:yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

I think Nicole Kidman is getting a lot of praise for recent movies - although not seen any of her latest work.

Her best role would be as a witch, as she looks like one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by candy
    Johnny Depp is the most versatile, fantastic actor ever. I hope the rumours that he's gonna play Willy Wonka

I heard about that too, sounds like a fantastic idea! :yes:
  • Options
    I heard about that too, sounds like a fantastic idea! :yes:

What's wrong with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie Gene Wilder did?

Don't see why they have to keep remaking classic movies that were already pretty good when they were made the first time around.

Hollywood is so unoriginal.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    What's wrong with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie Gene Wilder did?

Don't see why they have to keep remaking classic movies that were already pretty good when they were made the first time around.

Hollywood is so unoriginal.

:eek2:

But by that logic the Gene Wilder version could be considered unoriginal because it was based on a book.

I see nothing wrong with remakes if they are done well and portray the story in a different way - something that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp could well do.
  • Options
    But by that logic the Gene Wilder version could be considered unoriginal because it was based on a book.

I see nothing wrong with remakes if they are done well and portray the story in a different way - something that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp could well do.

Every movie is based on a book or script??

And if you're a kid I think the Original version was great and more of a good British production then some Hollywood hash.