Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Suicide bombing at a football match

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The men arrested yesterday were apparrently intending to target a football match. Now I've thought about this before as there aren't to many other places where you get that many people in such a small space, but I've never been worried about it.

I thought their targets were usually more symbolic, such as a major landmark in London like Westminster or the palace as that would make a much bigger statement worldwide especially America.

It would be very easy for someone to drive a truck packed with explosives down Warick Road and crash into the stadium, we would be looking at casualtys 20,000 and upwards. Scary thought.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Difficult to say how many; I don't think you would hit nearly as many as that but with a fully loaded truck you'd be looking at still many hundred or over a thousand. :(

And if the truck scenario was not practicable, all they need to do is send a few individuals to the same ground (or different grounds) with an explosive belt and blow themselves up on the terraces or inside at half time when everyone goes in for a drink. Not as many victims, but world-wide headlines all the same.

I had always thought (even before 9/11) that if a plane crashed into a packed stadium whether intentionally or not, you'd be looking at tens of thousands of victims. But they don't even need a plane to cause chaos...
  • Options
    I agree, I can't see how the authorities can keep track of all terrorists and it would be easy for one to carry out such an attack. It almost feels like it's only a matter of time as well :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Difficult to say how many; I don't think you would hit nearly as many as that but with a fully loaded truck you'd be looking at still many hundred or over a thousand. :(

Well I am not an architect so I have no idea about supports, but if a truck was to run into certain corners of Old Trafford there are 3 tiers on one side and 2 on the other.
  • Options
    Mmm I hadn't thought of parts of the stadium being demolished. I always viewed them as masses of reinforced concrete and much stronger than other buildings.

But I guess few things were designed with explosive-laden trucks in mind so it could well all come down.

Well at least the poor few souls who bother turning up for Franchise FC games need no worry about being a target. ;)
  • Options
    I have always been worried bout this when i go to upton park. Talking about the tiers etc. If a terroist group found out bout the supports of the stands etc and position the bombers there then they can bring down whole stadiums! quite scarey really. Also bout the plane but the no flying rule over london counts that out.