Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Criticism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you handle personal criticism? Do you see yourself as a pretty patient person or are you a fiery one?

The reason i ask is because my boss (the landlady at a pub) has just had a right bitch at me, all in the name of being honest!!

I've had my hair done recently and i thought it looked natural and just fine but oh no she's now told me otherwise. She basically said i've paid good money for a shit haircut and it looks no different to before and when getting my hair dyed i should get it so everyone notices and that it looks a bag of shit.

I thought i could take a lot of shit but this really pushed me to the limits as i find it a bit rich coming from a 54 yr old drunk who has a shite haircut herself.

*rant over* :)

Comments

• Options
    Aww post a pic off it and well tell ya da truth:)

i cant take alot of shit, normally brake me down in tears but i can tend to hold it in till im in private.. i tend to take things to heart aswell
  • Options
    If it's due, I'll accept it but at least try to explain myself.
    When it's not justified, I tell people exactly what I think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Aww post a pic off it and well tell ya da truth :)
    I doubt it tbh. Not many people would turn around and say "Actually she was right, your hair looks fucking awful" would they now...

Errrm, like Jacq said, where its due I can pretty much handle it. When its just bitchy or totaly out of order i take it to heart, get annoyed, and eat people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina

She basically said i've paid good money for a shit haircut and it looks no different to before and when getting my hair dyed i should get it so everyone notices and that it looks a bag of shit.

Not saying it was justified, but did you actually ask for her opinion, or did she just give it?

If you asked for her opinion, then she kinda gave it, even though it sounds so rude. Otherwise you'd have just been asking for a compliment, eh? :p

I don't mind criticism. I do sometimes take things to heart, but only if I don't deserve it.
  • Options
    I can take it from some people. If my mum, or my boyfriend, or my close friends were to gently tell me that my hair didn't look as good as before because of XYZ and maybe I should try somewhere else next time, I'd be ok.

If on the other hand some bitch at work had a rant at me about it, I'd be cross.

Either way, my confidence would be dented if I'd liked my hair because I take things to heart, but I'd react differently according to who it was telling me.
  • Options
    Right morning after and i'm more chilled out now :)

I think the reason it pissed me off is because it came out of the blue. I'd just been sat with mates, went to get a drink and she just turned round her gave me "her honest opinion". I didn't ask for it and i told her half way through the conversation that i thought it was better that we stopped it as i was not happy. She carried on regardless. I suppose i just don't like bad manners and in my eyes that was just downright rude.
  • Options
    Tbh, I dont make any effort to impress anyone. I mean, I do my hair how I like it which is fuckn crazy out of bed :D
    I wear what I like.
    I read what I like.
    I talk to who I like...

All because ive found that there will always be someone who dislikes you hair or whatever, but there will always be someone who thinks tis the bollocks.

Anyone criticises me I listen to them and think about it, if theyre just trying to put me down its good to come back with something witty and which is a megaputdown- anyone got any suggestions for me?

Tom
  • Options
    I would have been pissed off if shed said that to me! How rude and uncalled for.
    Im not overly keen on personal criticism, but as perfect day said, id react differently according to who was dishing it out.
    Im already quite critical of myself, so the last thing i need is someone else joining in.
  • Options
    Speaking as a cold-hearted bastard, devoid of emotion, I can honestly say that I never get upset by other peoples opinions about myself. If I took them on-board and paniced about them, I may well have to contemplate suicide.

Petty comments about your hair-cut aren't worth getting upset about. It's hardly constructive criticism (I can't spell!) is it? Sounds like this land-lady is probably jealous of your youthful good looks and sharp fashion sense.

Tell her to mind her own business in future.
  • Options
    Originally posted by captain kirk
    Speaking as a cold-hearted bastard, devoid of emotion, I can honestly say that I never get upset by other peoples opinions about myself. If I took them on-board and paniced about them, I may well have to contemplate suicide.

Petty comments about your hair-cut aren't worth getting upset about. It's hardly constructive criticism (I can't spell!) is it? Sounds like this land-lady is probably jealous of your youthful good looks and sharp fashion sense.

Tell her to mind her own business in future.

That was pretty sound advice actually :)
  • Options
    It shouldnt really matter what other people think of your hair. Sure you want people to think it looks good but its not the most important thing. If you like it and are comfortable with it then thats all that matters. Also i would tell the cow who said it where to stick her comments...:D
  • Options
    Re: Criticism
    Originally posted by Carolina
    How do you handle personal criticism?

I can take criticism depending on how its dished out. If someone starts bawling at me saying "your doing that wrong" and were a bit harsh then I would probably lose my rag. However if they said in a friendly manner "hey you really should be doing it this way" then I could take that.
    Its all down to the tone of voice they use and wether they are being bitchy etc.