Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An update about a chat mod 🌈

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in Community Announcements
Hey guys, I have a bit of news to share. Before I get into it though, I want to make sure you're in a comfortable place (physically and mentally) to hear it. Here's a trigger warning for death / grief and if you're not feeling ready to open that box right now, come back to this thread at a better time. :)

Zaki joined the group chat mod team in the middle of last year. Some of you will have met him and some of you won't have, depending on when you usually go to group chat. He was mostly in GC.

After becoming unwell near the end of November, Zaki passed away shortly before Christmas.

I know you will have all had a different relationship with Zaki and this news will land differently for each of you. I'm also conscious that we've just had Christmas and the New Year, and grief can become more present for people around now, and this stuff can be a bit emotionally jumbled.

The staff team wanted to create this space so we would have a place to talk about it together and process the news as a group. So whatever you're feeling, feel free to share it here or privately with the staff team. Equally, no pressure to comment or say anything at all if you don't want to.

Personally, I felt a bit speechless when I heard this (still do), so please know there's no right or wrong thing to say or way to respond. Do whatever feels right for you. 💚

You can also get in touch with Cruse Beraevement Care, or chat to The Mix's 1-2-1 services if you'd like to talk to someone outside of the community about it.

I do want to pass on something warming from Zaki's mum about him being a chat mod:
Zaki really enjoyed his time volunteering with the team and learnt so much, for that we are grateful. All Zaki ever wanted to do is help people and so we think it would bring great comfort to us that he made a difference.
The truth resists simplicity.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Sorry to hear such heartbreaking and sad news Condolences to his family and friends and of course to all of you guys who knew him at the Mix.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    Such sad news to hear about Zaki - sending lots of love and hugs to his family, friends and anyone else that knew him <3
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Thanks both @sinead276 @ebyrne556. 💚 It all seemed to happen quite quickly. From the limited conversation we've had with his parents, it seems like the time he spent with you guys in the community meant quite a lot to him (and to them now that he's gone).
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    My condolenses go out to Zaki's family. I am very sorry to hear of his sudden passing. May be he be at peace. He will be missed lots here at the mix. :heartbreak:
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    Wow- uh idk what to say, uh sorry to hear this.. zaki was such a sweet mod and one of the first to welcome me.. I probably have opened this a bit early bc I'm not stable but 🤷🏻‍♀️... this is such sad news💔
  • Options
    Kesh260807Kesh260807 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    Sending condolences to zaki’s family this is very sad news and they where an amazing mod they will be missed 💔
    You are loved and you are amazing
  • Options
    Good to see you guys in here - I know it's a lot to take in. 💚 I'm still not sure I know what to say either, it never quite feels real when someone as young as Zaki dies so suddenly.

@Chloe234 @Morgan007 it's so cool that he made a difference for you both. It's funny how powerful it can be when someone welcomes us and shows us that kindness. That feels like a good memory to hold on to - it's one of the things we'll remember him for too.

@Kesh260807 @Amy22 sharing your sentiments. We'll pass on your condolences when we next speak to Zaki's parents, I'm sure it would mean a lot to them. :)
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,814 Master Poster
    My condolences to the family. I really hope that they are doing okay. It must have been a massive shock for this to happen especially just before Christmas and with someone so young. Zaki was an amazing mod who really helped to make a difference for a lot of chat users. This is definitely going to be difficult for many people but we all need to support eachother. My inbox is open if anyone wants to talk.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Thanks for the lovely message @Dancer, really kind of you and I totally agree. :)
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,647 Legendary Poster
    Oh this is very sad. Thoughts very much with Zaki’s family right now.

I may well be an old timer in chat, but it’s always lovely to see, be welcomed by and chat with new mods who accept and vibe with my complete and utter craziness in chat. And Zaki did just that. I hope his parents are able to read these messages and take some comfort from them, knowing his time here was very much appreciated.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Libby_Libby_ Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    edited January 2023
    I’m new to discussion boards and group chat but I wanted to say that it’s with my deepest condolences to zaki family, im sorry for the loss of an amazing mod he seems amazing. Keep shinging bright zaki we love you ❤️😭
  • Options
    Thanks for dropping in both of you @independent_ @Libby_. :) I totally agree. Acceptance is super powerful, and it feels valuable to recognise when someone is giving us that.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    @Morgan007 we're planning to share this thread with them this week :).

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely words about Zaki <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    Sending my condolences to the family
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Thank you again everyone for your lovely messages about Zaki, we shared these with his parents yesterday and they wanted to share with you all how much it meant to them. Here's a message from his parents:
    It was so lovely to read the messages left by the mix community and staff. It bought tears to our eyes. Please thank everyone who took time to give some feedback. It meant the world to us as we are struggling to come to terms with losing Zaki. The communities kind words mean a lot to us.

Thank you once again for giving him the opportunity to volunteer with the Mix community. I wish you all the best with your work, it is a great charity.

<3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
    They do indeed @Morgan007 <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.