Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ADHD and masking it

ChipChip Posts: 1 Just got here
edited June 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Hello, not sure if I've put this in the right section on the boards, feel free to move it. :)

I was keen to find other people who have ADHD and to hopefully find out how they mask it? I am diagnosed ADHD, I have the combined type so that means I'm hyperactive, impulsive, I struggle to pay attention and I'm easily distracted.

I want to do better and I feel like my ADHD is getting in the way. I really feel like I can't control myself and this is frustrating. I just want to talk to people and do different things constantly. I never feel settled and even right now, I just want to jump up and shout or do something to let out some energy.

The doctor said to do exercises to release some built-up energy and that does help sometimes but at the moment i can't sit for longer than 10 minutes and I have this constant rush feeling, like when you're on a roller coaster and you're excited but nervous. My legs are always bouncing or my hands are always doing something and I get insecure at the thought of people noticing me not feeling settled

so I was wondering if anyone has any successful ways to mask their ADHD so it's less noticeable? the only time I feel normal is when I've used up so much energy I just want to sleep.

Any tips on how I can be more organized and less distracted too? sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm desperate to have more control over myself, even if that means just hiding my adhd. I give into temptation too easily and it leads me to get into trouble. I want to do better.

Post edited by AislingDM on