Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's the future of Instagram?

ChloeChloe Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
edited June 2023 in We Need You
Hi!

As some of you know, we've been working with Facebook and Instagram on several policy updates and their future direction. We'll be attending a round table with them in a couple of weeks to talk to them more about the future too.

However, we can't do that with YOU and hearing YOUR voices. So, we want to hear as many of your thoughts and opinions about:

1. how you are experiencing Instagram. 
  2. ideas on new ways to promote understanding and improved well-being on online and the role Instagram can play. 
  3. what would you do with Instagram’s future?

Please tell us your thoughts - ask your friends and post again... however you want to tell us. We want to represent your thoughts at the table =)

Chlöe
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    well I have a regular instagram with my family and friends where i just post pics of every day life and then I have a mental health recovery account too. There is a big issue in the recovery community at the moment with instagram censoring peoples pictures inappropriately saying they are encouraging self harm because they have scars.... these pictures are of people living their life, with friends etc with positive captions however because they happen to have scars they are being removed and censored. This is upsetting for the person as it makes them feel bad about themself and also it stops people representing that you can recover from self harm and live a happy life. 

The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • ChloeChloe Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    well I have a regular instagram with my family and friends where i just post pics of every day life and then I have a mental health recovery account too. There is a big issue in the recovery community at the moment with instagram censoring peoples pictures inappropriately saying they are encouraging self harm because they have scars.... these pictures are of people living their life, with friends etc with positive captions however because they happen to have scars they are being removed and censored. This is upsetting for the person as it makes them feel bad about themself and also it stops people representing that you can recover from self harm and live a happy life. 

Hey! Thanks for being first to reply to the thread! 

Thanks for sharing that you have multiple accounts and they seem to be for very different things - is that right? Do your friends and family know about your mental health recovery account too?

Appreciate you sharing about the issues in the recovery community. We had conversations with Instagram about pictures of scars and 100% said it would be okay to have picture where they are visible, but less so when it might be that they are the sole purpose of the picture. The reason for that being that even scars can be triggering for people, SHers can compare wounds with scars and it can result in more self harm. However, everyone was 100% on board with people connecting and getting support, as well as showing that recovery and happiness is possible.

That's a *really* quick update, so hopefully it makes sense. What is really helpful is hearing that the balance might not be quite right yet and we can feed that back! 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2019
    I don't use it. 

A whole application dedicated to selfies? No thanks. I swear camera phones have ruined subculture and turned everybody into a fucking vacuous narcissist.
    Weekender Offender 
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Chloe - really cool young voices are being heard on this! Hats off to @Jellyelephant and @Skive for getting involved too!

1) I use Instagram daily, to keep in touch with friends mainly. Really positive experience from me - a picture can paint a thousand words so love the concept. This can sometimes be a problem though - there's certainly some things I don't want to see vividly if you get me.

2) Could be a good idea to have a well-being week? Get some ultra famous influencers to post some tips on their stories or pages to get the word out there. Know it already exists, but the chance to block certain hashtags or words from your feed should be publicised lots more. That way if I don't want to see posts about weight loss, for example, then I can make that choice.

3) Think I've kinda answered this already in Q2. Future of Instagram should be user centered  thinking about whats best for the users not for the business, although quite often these maybe the same thing. 

Really cool to be involved Chloe - Harry 🙂
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
    Hey @Chloe - really cool young voices are being heard on this! Hats off to @Jellyelephant and @Skive for getting involved too!

1) I use Instagram daily, to keep in touch with friends mainly. Really positive experience from me - a picture can paint a thousand words so love the concept. This can sometimes be a problem though - there's certainly some things I don't want to see vividly if you get me.

2) Could be a good idea to have a well-being week? Get some ultra famous influencers to post some tips on their stories or pages to get the word out there. Know it already exists, but the chance to block certain hashtags or words from your feed should be publicised lots more. That way if I don't want to see posts about weight loss, for example, then I can make that choice.

3) Think I've kinda answered this already in Q2. Future of Instagram should be user centered  thinking about whats best for the users not for the business, although quite often these maybe the same thing. 

Really cool to be involved Chloe - Harry 🙂
    Amazing - thanks Harry!
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    I used to be a semi-frequent user of Instagram but I deactivated my account last year because of the impact it was having on my mental health. 

I was experiencing a lot of problems when it came to expressing my authentic self, and something like Instagram where a lot of the content is curated and made to look 'perfect' was really offputting to me. 

I'd like to see users and policy makers promoting a kinder, more forgiving approach to their content. Selfies don't have to look flawless, influencers advertising diet pills and teas should be reviewed etc. 
    I used to be a semi-frequent user of Instagram but I deactivated my account last year because of the impact it was having on my mental health. 

I was experiencing a lot of problems when it came to expressing my authentic self, and something like Instagram where a lot of the content is curated and made to look 'perfect' was really offputting to me. 

I'd like to see users and policy makers promoting a kinder, more forgiving approach to their content. Selfies don't have to look flawless, influencers advertising diet pills and teas should be reviewed etc. 
    Thank you for sharing your views on this. I've seen some great movements that include no make up selfies and posting videos of 'wobbly bits' and not just the 'perfect' face / body / life. I wonder if you'd see any difference coming back.

We'll definitely collate all this and really interesting point about reviewing (regulating?) influencers that are selling diet pills / teas. Thanks for the time in replying =)