Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm sort of really terrified of monsters?

EdgieReggieEdgieReggie Posts: 1 Just got here
I've always sort of had this problem, but lately it's gotten much worse. I've always kind of imagined monsters around me that I had to avoid, it's a bit hard to explain. It's kind of like part of my brain completely understands that monsters aren't real and I'm perfectly safe, but there's this other little part of my brain that firmly believes that they are real and I should be terrified. I have these notions of where they are, like one will be in the kitchen or outside my door and I'll be afraid to come out of my room. I get sort of mental images of them as well, like long bony fingers wrapped around the edge of a wall, or a mangled face with cloudy yellow eyes. It's gotten so bad at times that I'll end up cowering in the corner of a room shaking. This seems like the kind of thing that you just grow out of, but it's only gotten worse, and I'd just like some answers.

Comments

• Options
    MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Hey Reggie, welcome to our boards! You've certainly come to the right place - lots of support here and some very lovely people! :)

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your Mum. Ask if she could get you an appointment with your doctor. Docs are very used to the problems of us teenagers and they would be best to give you advice. Mum could make a telephone consultation appointment first. Talking to the doc on the phone instead of face-to-face makes it easier for us shy ones. What I did was make a short list of exactly what was troubling me so I could tell my doctor more easily - and keep to the point. Doctors have only about 5 minutes on the phone with us anyway, so a list is a good idea. They might want you to come and see them. Mine has been super, but most GPs are anyway. So that's what I'd do to put your troubled mind at rest.

By the way, I do love your avatar. :)

Wishing you all the best,

~ Belle:rainbow2:
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there Reggie,

First of all thank you for sharing your problems with us on the board, it's understandable that this might be a little embarrassing to talk about. As you mentioned I think pretty much everyone has been afraid of monsters at some point in their lives, overactive imaginations can be a curse! Whether or not you should have grown out of these fears by now depends entirely on the person, we all deal with things differently after all. It could be that you might end up getting over this fear all on your own and that would be great :thumb:

It is also possible that these fears might be indicative of a bigger problem and if you feel really upset and uncomfortable then, as Mirabelle mentioned, it might be best for you to talk to a family member or your GP about what you've been going through. You also mentioned that these fears have been getting worse as you've gotten older, can you describe how they've worsened over time? If there's anything we can do to help you overcome your fears please let us know!

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.