Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boot/Shutdown problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Both are really slow, it takes like 2-3 minutes to boot/shutdown. It started with the shut down being slow then it started to get slow on boot. I got no viruses or spyware and I don't think there is any software conflicts, although the boot problem did seem to arise after a system clean up but I cannot seem to find any files that have been altered.

Comments

• Options
    I find that my system does generally become slower over time , Usually after i format it it runs faster again. Maybe you have a lot of programs loading on startup?

Start > Run > msconfig.exe

Click on Startup and see if theres anythign running you dont need
  • Options
    Good point Matteyo!

When was the last time you formated?
  • Options
    I don't usually need to reformat anymore, I just restore an image via TrueImage. Problem is, the last image I took was when the system was going slow on start/shutdown so if I restore it I'm gonna have the same problem.

I thought the shutdown problem was due to Windows not being unable to unload my user profile but I have since installed UPHclean which didn't work (it forces your system to close user sessions), also tried BootVis to optimize my boot time but it didn't have no effect.

Event Viwer doesn't show anything in terms of boot errors, there is only a shutdown error which I mentioned above, UPHclean should of fixed the problem but it hasn't.

There maybe a registry hive that has been corrupted when I last defraged and compacted the registry, I think I would of been warned about that.

ETA: There isn't much in msconfig>>startup
  • Options
    Disk Defrag
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I just restore an image via TrueImage. Problem is, the last image I took was when the system was going slow on start/shutdown so if I restore it I'm gonna have the same problem.

Looks like your going to have to get the Windows CD and make an image of that!:yeees:
  • Options
    Making an image of a Windows CD wouldn't do anything.

Already done a disk defrag and check disk, no difference.
  • Options
    Format then
  • Options
    I will solve the problem. Formatting defeats using my disk image, it takes me an hour to install everything any way.