Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What are your 'moonshot' ambitions?

AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
edited April 8 in General Chat
Hey all!

Some of you might be aware that "Hardest Geezer" recently completed a massive challenge - running across the entire length of the African continent (16,400km!!), which he completed in 352 days. And in doing so, he raised over £775,000 for charity!

Many of us will get big ideas like this sometimes - maybe you're day dreaming and had a random idea; perhaps you're inspired by hearing about a story; or you might want to make a big impact on a particular cause you care about. Achievable or unrealistic - they all count!

What are your "moonshot" ambitions? Are you actively working towards making them a reality? I'd love to hear your ideas below!
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,015 Community Veteran
    Hey @Azziman This is such a really good thread actually because it will be nice to see everyone else's moonshot goals on here and what they want to achieve.

Honestly, I don't know if I have got a proper 'moonshot' goal because I don't know what I really want to achieve in this lifetime or even if my goals are actually realistic because some of them are too aspirational. I think for me one of my goals is to help others through promoting neurodiversity acceptance so the community are widely accepted across a wide range of audiences and communities. I also want to try and achieve my goal of eventually publishing a book or a collection of zines promoting important topics for young people. As well as eventually getting to my goal of properly making films and writing scripts as well. I got too many goals sometimes :sweat_smile: lol
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    edited April 14
    This is a really interesting thread @Azziman, thank you so much for making it!

I think I have too many 'moonshot' ambitions, and they're really unrealistic ahah. Even though I think they're so out of reach, the dreamer part of believes that I could still reach them!

I want to achieve:

- fluency (a minimum B2 level) in the languages: Tagalog, French, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Italian and Greek (I have proficiency in the first 3 languages mentioned here - still need to study lots for the other languages)

- writing/publishing a seven-part book series (currently working on this and its been really fun but challenging trying to plan out what will happen when!)

- success in the area of neuropsychology/neuroscience (by getting a good job in that area after completing a PhD maybe)

- a level where I can draw literally anything after receiving a great understanding of anatomy and without using references (I want to draw characters that most digital artists do nowadays, realistic portraits, abstract oil painting)

- a level where I can play whatever I want on the piano, where I can sightread sheet music (this one is probably the most realistic one out of all the others)

There's probably a lot more 'moonshot' ambitions that I missed, but these are the ones that I could think of from the top of my head :smile:

I love being a dreamer, and I hope that everyone can make their dreams a reality and persevere through the worthwhile challenges they bring! <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @kaii These are amazing goals! What are your books about?
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 thank you so much! Hopefully I can somehow achieve them :lol:

The premise of my books I'd say is rather strange, haha. Basically, the story will follow a girl and a few other hopeless dreamers to follow their passions (music). For the first book, the main character is very unhappy with where she's at with her life (but she's encouraged to continue taking this path due to factors such as academic pressure and the unknown future). But that all changes when she meets others who are passionate about making it big in the music industry but are almost on the verge of giving up due to the setbacks and challenges their dreams bring. As the main character's passion for music is rekindled after meeting these people, this leaves her feeling conflicted and lost about what she really wants and where she wants to go.

And the rest of the books will continue to follow these characters - I have a rough idea of what will happen in these books but it still needs to be developed so I'll ponder about them a bit more!

I say that it's strange and a bit challenging because it's hard to write how music sounds, but I also think that if I write song lyrics on a page (kind of like poetry), it would be interesting for readers to imagine how it would sound! And the plot of this book series is definitely low stake, so I have to work harder to make it engaging to readers! But I know that I'll figure this all out eventually though, and I realise that I don't necessarily have to show it to others - just completing it makes me happy and it's more than enough for me! <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    These are some amazing moonshot ambitions! :)

@Amy22 Promoting neurodiversity acceptance is a great goal to have, and definitely one that can scale as big as you'd like! Are there steps you can take, or do take, at this time to make that a reality? A book or zine series sounds awesome - what topics come to mind that you'd like to explore? And directing and writing a film is a great idea - hoping to see your creation at the Cannes festival soon! :)

@kaii these are some incredible ideas, and I'm hoping we'll see some of these appear in a future achievements post down the line! Lots of languages there, what makes you want to learn these? I'll take a guess that you've seen some of Xiaomanyc's content? Is there something in neuroscience that you're really keen to learn about? And the piano is a great instrument to master - is there a piece or type of music that you'd love to be able to play?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Azziman, thank you! I hope to write about them in future achievements posts if I'm successful :lol:

Honestly I love learning languages because I find that it's such a wonderful way to connect with people whilst also learning what other cultures are like! I've seen a couple of Xiaomanyc's videos - his proficiency in Mandarin is incredible! I watch more of anna lenkovska's content, since she's a notion lover like I am and I really like listening to her voice :smile:

Here's why I want to study these languages (I've also ranked these languages below from ones I have to learn asap to ones that are not much of a priority haha!):

- Tagalog: I'm Filipino and want to get closer to relatives so I think studying Tagalog's the way to go! Sadly I'm struggling with this a bit since I find it difficult to get good resources and it's guaranteed that my parents will laugh whenever I practise speaking with my British accent XD

- Japanese: I started learning it since my first year in uni, I'm really lucky that my uni offer this language pathway alongside my degree! My friend and I are planning to go to Japan next summer, and I really want to continue learning the language even after I graduate. I'm already proficient in it now, and I want to keep this up!

- French: I learned this for GCSE and really enjoyed it a lot - sadly I stopped because everyone around me hated it. I wish I didn't listen to them and continued with it! So I've decided to relearn it again

- Mandarin: I learned it for a bit in year 8 and really enjoyed it - I like how easy the grammar is, so I want to relearn it again at some point

- Korean: I really like listening to kpop and I really like how the language sounds! I aspire to get to a level where I can consume kpop content and kdramas without subtitles haha

- Italian and Greek: honestly these are just extras for fun - I really like how Italian sounds and I have an online friend from Cyprus who speaks Greek and so I got interested in the language!

Regarding neuroscience, I think I'd like to explore more about mind wandering, daydreams, and the experiences of people with aphantasia (the inability to form mental imagery)!

I really enjoy playing original soundtracks (OSTs) on the piano! You probably haven't heard of this, but I want to learn 'Second Run' and 'Reminiscence' from the Talesweaver game! I don't even play the game, but I fell in love listening to these pieces :smile: and another piece that I really want to play would be Debussy's Arabesque No.1! :3
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,015 Community Veteran
    Azziman wrote: »
    These are some amazing moonshot ambitions! :)

@Amy22 Promoting neurodiversity acceptance is a great goal to have, and definitely one that can scale as big as you'd like! Are there steps you can take, or do take, at this time to make that a reality? A book or zine series sounds awesome - what topics come to mind that you'd like to explore? And directing and writing a film is a great idea - hoping to see your creation at the Cannes festival soon! :)

@kaii these are some incredible ideas, and I'm hoping we'll see some of these appear in a future achievements post down the line! Lots of languages there, what makes you want to learn these? I'll take a guess that you've seen some of Xiaomanyc's content? Is there something in neuroscience that you're really keen to learn about? And the piano is a great instrument to master - is there a piece or type of music that you'd love to be able to play?

Thank you so so much @Azziman. My one friend is trying to create their own production company so hopefully our film will be in Cainnes some day and will win lots of Oscars. My friend did win a few independent indie low budget awards for the short film they produced in college with me and I acted in it eventhough I wasn't good at it haha xd . I think a step for me to take is to explore what is current at the moment and get back into writing because I haven't been writing as much. I might helping out on my friends horror film in July/August time as a 2nd assistant director.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films