Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worrying

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
I was a bit hesitent to apply to jobs, not sure if people can relate but I found it pretty daunting, I think worries about getting rejections, if I do get a job getting into something I don't like, not getting treated right, getting judged for what job I do, being stuck in the job I dont like etc. I got a bit of motivation to apply to a couple coz I could start earning my own money, saving, treating myself to nice stuff, I could start doing nice stuff too, maybe even investing into something for like a side hustle to make more money, also just having a routine too. So I applied to a couple of jobs, did get declined and not heard back from an other.

I'm doing a short course at college, have an option to go back but I'm thinking of just getting into work to get paid for my time instead, could maybe go back to college but I'm thinking either way get a job alongside to start getting an income. Might apply to more jobs in the following week. People have suggested volunteering several times, I have thought about it a lot recently, atm it's not something I want to do because I want to just start earning. I understand the benefits though and I want a routine but an income too, doing an unpaid role is just going to make me demotivated and everything. It was making me a bit anxious. Also Ive seen online suggested if you don't want to do volunteering don't do it, tbh I don't want to especially atm. People have agreed too because I have a few stuff to pay, want to save etc so want to be earning so volunteering alone isn't going to be ideal. I pottentially would be losing money too just commuting and lunches too so need paid work even short term so I just want to get sorted with that. I have heard that volunteering can help with getting into work but its not garanteed so I could be doing all of that just for nothing.

I've done a cv, going college, done stuff in the past, applied to jobs so I think im doing stuff towards the right place so that's good but yh I just have been worried about not getting sorted and just want to. It's just a bit harder because like when you go to college they can find you a course sort you out and everything. I was looking for a course, nearly had to wait until April because they said they don't have anything until then so I was just like then when we were driving back the place they rang saying they have a course with a few spaces in the following few days so I enrolled and went. With work you have to do stuff yourself a bit. Even finding a college course after leaving school its not easy because you go primary school then secondary school your parents put down what options of schools you want to go and most people stay in that school till year 11. When you leave school you can get a bit of help from teachers, I was on the SEN statement so looked at a few options in my review I used to have and they suggested a course. Even then I went on the course that was suggested to me, I didnt think it was ideal for me so I quit the first year and ended going back a year or 2 after as I couldn't find anything else suitable. I ended up just completing that course, didn't like it but still completed a few years of it. After I left I didn't know what to do then, I tried a few things but didn't work out and now I just want to get sorted with work now. I just get down sometimes because everyone seems to be sorted and I'm not yet and I just feel negative worried that I won't get sorted too sometimes. Sorry to keep coming here complaining about the same thing but atleast I'm trying and stuff.

Comments

• Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
    edited March 17
    Hey @FordRanger it's really good to see you posting and getting these things off your chest. <3

I think a lot of people here would resonate with your feelings of hesitancy and nervousness around applying for jobs and getting your first foot into the world of work. It's not an easy journey, especially nowadays with the job market particularly competitive. Nevermind those additional worries you mentioned there around finding a workplace that is healthy, meets your needs and values, and gives you a role that you enjoy.

It's really fab to hear that you applied for some jobs - rejections can get us down but this doesn't mean we can't keep trying. I used to work at a few higher education careers services and we would always have students come in to see us to talk about how difficult it's been for them to receive invitations to interview. I would encourage you to keep persevering and researching the jobs that are out there and available to you.

Do you have any ideas for what kind of role you think you would enjoy? Careers Planner is a quiz that matches your skills, motivations and desires to a career that's perfect for you so it might be worth looking into that. :)

I would say that volunteering is such a powerful way of developing skills, exploring different roles and getting familiar with working environments. Sometimes voluntary organisations do have the ability to cover your expenses though, such as food and travel costs. But as you've said, it does require a set commitment and so if you'd rather focus on trying to get a paid role, that's totally valid too. Not everyone has the ability to volunteer and that's okay.
    FordRanger wrote: »
    I've done a cv, going college, done stuff in the past, applied to jobs so I think im doing stuff towards the right place so that's good but yh I just have been worried about not getting sorted and just want to.

^It sounds like you're doing all the right things. <3

It's great that the college could offer you a place - what course are you doing? :)

It's worth saying that everyone is on their own path @FordRanger and I know it's easier said than done, but try not to compare yourself to anyone else. There is no rush - you're taking things at your own pace and that's 100% okay.
  • Options
    Gemma wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger it's really good to see you posting and getting these things off your chest. <3

I think a lot of people here would resonate with your feelings of hesitancy and nervousness around applying for jobs and getting your first foot into the world of work. It's not an easy journey, especially nowadays with the job market particularly competitive. Nevermind those additional worries you mentioned there around finding a workplace that is healthy, meets your needs and values, and gives you a role that you enjoy.

It's really fab to hear that you applied for some jobs - rejections can get us down but this doesn't mean we can't keep trying. I used to work at a few higher education careers services and we would always have students come in to see us to talk about how difficult it's been for them to receive invitations to interview. I would encourage you to keep persevering and researching the jobs that are out there and available to you.

Do you have any ideas for what kind of role you think you would enjoy? Careers Planner is a quiz that matches your skills, motivations and desires to a career that's perfect for you so it might be worth looking into that. :)

I would say that volunteering is such a powerful way of developing skills, exploring different roles and getting familiar with working environments. Sometimes voluntary organisations do have the ability to cover your expenses though, such as food and travel costs. But as you've said, it does require a set commitment and so if you'd rather focus on trying to get a paid role, that's totally valid too. Not everyone has the ability to volunteer and that's okay.
    FordRanger wrote: »
    I've done a cv, going college, done stuff in the past, applied to jobs so I think im doing stuff towards the right place so that's good but yh I just have been worried about not getting sorted and just want to.

^It sounds like you're doing all the right things. <3

It's great that the college could offer you a place - what course are you doing? :)

It's worth saying that everyone is on their own path @FordRanger and I know it's easier said than done, but try not to compare yourself to anyone else. There is no rush - you're taking things at your own pace and that's 100% okay.

@Gemma yh its not easy getting straight into work. Volunteering does have advantages and yh I heard you can get expenses maybe covered like meals but really I need to be earning. Probably the same for a lot of people like they have stuff to pay like bills etc so volunteering alone just doesn't work, some people have jobs then do volunteering too so thats good to get the benefits out of both. Also I think a lot of people if not most probably do volunteering because they enjoy it, I don't think I would, I have been to college for a bit, done a few courses, done a little bit of work experience and I think nows the time to just start earning.

Its good I am applying to jobs, I think for a lot of people it's might be not much of a step but for someone like me it is. I'm thinking of maybe something to do with vehcles, I did do a training course to do forklift driving but it didn't really work out, didn't have the best treatment from them guys there, I had good hopes for it prior to starting but it was a bit disappointing. My college is like a course to give me confidence skills for work or just confidence in general but its not like a course for 2 years or 1 year like most are, you finish quicker and can do another course if you want. I think they help more with confidence and skills information etc but they dont really help with work. I do have a bit of support though with work, getting my cv done etc.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    edited March 24
    @FordRanger have you looked into apprenticeships/internships? I am just thinking, that gives opportunities to gain experience and learn whilst earning.

I work full-time and volunteer alongside but my full-time job is in a graduate internship role and that's okay. I had 9 months of rejections from jobs but finally heard the 'yes' which made it all worth it.

You deserve to be treated with respect and kindness, no matter what role you choose. Do you think you might do another course after your confidence course? How are you finding the support? We are here with you :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @FordRanger have you looked into apprenticeships/internships? I am just thinking, that gives opportunities to gain experience and learn whilst earning.

I work full-time and volunteer alongside but my full-time job is in a graduate internship role and that's okay. I had 9 months of rejections from jobs but finally heard the 'yes' which made it all worth it.

You deserve to be treated with respect and kindness, no matter what role you choose. Do you think you might do another course after your confidence course? How are you finding the support? We are here with you :)

@Laura_tigger82 I have but a lot require you to go to college and all that. I was looking at more of just a simple job just to get me a wage and into like the work industry then gradually increase my hours maybe and move into higher roles.

That's good you do that, can I ask if you just volunteer here on the mix or do you do other companies or roles too? Fine if you don't want to say.

Yh like everyone does in the work industry, it's sad to see employers and everything get treated badly in work but unfortunately happens. I was scared of that happening to me. I'm looking more into work now after this course like earning is important and very rewarding so I just really want to do that really soon. The support is really good here, everyone seems to be none judgemental and helpful etc. Thanks for replying too.