Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scam going around

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,830 Master Poster
edited February 24 in General Chat
I have been made aware of a text scam that has been going around from a delivery company called EVRI (which I don`t even know whether or not it is real.) The message says "EVRI mail package in the process of transportation, due to damage to the outer package, address information is lost, can not be delivered. Please be sure to update the delivery address information in the link within 12 hours. (Please reply Y, then exit the SMS, re-open the SMS activation link, or copy the link to open in Safari.) The EVRI team wishes you a great day!" Please be very cautious about any texts you get that seem even slightly dodgy or from a number you don`t recognise. There is also a Capital One scam going around but that`s more on phone calls than via text.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    edited February 24
    Dancer wrote: »
    I have been made aware of a text scam that has been going around from a delivery company called EVRI (which I don`t even know whether or not it is real.) The message says "EVRI mail package in the process of transportation, due to damage to the outer package, address information is lost, can not be delivered. Please be sure to update the delivery address information in the link within 12 hours. (Please reply Y, then exit the SMS, re-open the SMS activation link, or copy the link to open in Safari.) The EVRI team wishes you a great day!" Please be very cautious about any texts you get that seem even slightly dodgy or from a number you don`t recognise. There is also a Capital One scam going around but that`s more on phone calls than via text.

Thank you @Dancer for sharing this information as recently the rise of phone and text message scams have increased, so it's important to double check the message you may recieve. I had a few scam phone calls recently on my mobile but I got the option to block and report numbers. So folks if you do get a phone call and you think its a scam, block and report!. Also, my phone tends to have caller ID so it tells me if the call is suspected spam or scam or not.
    Post edited by TheMix on
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    I’ve been getting loads of scam calls recently too
  • Options
    IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 946 Part of The Mix Family
    @AnonymousToe me too but I just find it fun to mess with them too lol
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    @AnonymousToe me too but I just find it fun to mess with them too lol

I had a friend in college I think who had a scam call and they made a joke about it then hung up. Also whenever my nan and bamp get scam callers, my bamp tells them that he hasnt got a computer and they can send him one in the mail lol. They keep having your computer is broken scam. SO thats what he does basically.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,042 Boards Guru
    These scams can be so sneaky in the way they try and get your person information. Thank you for helping raise awareness of it @Dancer. I've edited your post slightly just to remove the link that hyperlinked in your message :)

I found a helpful website that has more information and examples to help identify fake text messages if anyone is interested in giving it a read - https://www.aura.com/learn/how-to-identify-a-fake-text-message

For phone numbers I don't recognise, I tend to google them and that's quite helpful in sharing if it's been reported before or coming up with an organisations name if it's from a genuine place I'm expecting a call from :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤