Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you know about / experience SAD?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
Seasonal Affective Disorder (more info here from the NHS, overview below)
NHS wrote:
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern.

SAD is sometimes known as "winter depression" because the symptoms are usually more apparent and more severe during the winter.

Some people with SAD may have symptoms during the summer and feel better during the winter.
Anyone here get this? Do you do anything to help with it?
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,091 Wise Owl
    I used to but now I'm just depressed constantly so not anymore :')
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,022 Wise Owl
    I often struggle more in the winter but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever been depressed, so who knows
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    faolan wrote: »
    It’s not something I struggle with but I do have one of those day light lamp things. They’re suppose to help with sad.
    Ah yeah I've seen those! My friend has been telling me to get one for about 5 years, haha.

Does seem like a pattern for people to find it harder to get through Winter, even if you don't bring labels or clinical depression into it. I guess part of that is just the cold and gloom. I feel this too, and I think I've felt it more in my 20's than I did as a teen. Not sure why.
    I often struggle more in the winter but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever been depressed, so who knows
    Out of interest, where do you draw the line between depression and 'struggling' as you put it?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @JustV Our college has some SAD lights in the library which I thought was pretty cool
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,022 Wise Owl
    JustV wrote: »
    Out of interest, where do you draw the line between depression and 'struggling' as you put it?

I just feel miserable, and get more bothered by little things I suppose. Life is just more effort in the winter and it’s harder to be happy. I don’t think I’ve been depressed just because I imagine actual depression is so much worse than anything I’ve experienced. Yeah I get hopeless and numb but it doesn’t last forever. Plus I take an antidepressant now (for anxiety) so that makes it even less likely that I’ll actually be depressed. I don’t know lol