Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I really dont get on with my parents

BlueberryMuffinBlueberryMuffin Posts: 19 Settling in
I feel really low tonight, like to the point of tears because i just feel like my parents hate me. I always feel super awkward around them. I live with my dad, and basically just being around him or in the same room and stuff just feels so awkward, i dont have anything to talk to him about or anything and he just seems super judgemental. Same with my mum who i dont live with, but when she calls me it just seems super awkward. We dont have a very nice family relationship like we used to when I was little and just being around them is so awkward. I dont know why i feel this way but its really upset me today. I dont want things to be awkward with us but they just are, its like hanging out with strangers.

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 412 Listening Ear
    I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling @BlueberryMuffin it must be really difficult struggling with the relationship between your parents. Do you know if it would be constructive to bring up how you're feeling to them? If it's something that's a recent issue it might be worth asking if there's a reason for the awkwardness. Do you have any friends that you could talk to about it that maybe know you and your situation a bit better? It sounds like a really tough situation so well done on reaching out, and I hope things get a bit better for you soon <3
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling @BlueberryMuffin it must be really difficult struggling with the relationship between your parents. Do you know if it would be constructive to bring up how you're feeling to them? If it's something that's a recent issue it might be worth asking if there's a reason for the awkwardness. Do you have any friends that you could talk to about it that maybe know you and your situation a bit better? It sounds like a really tough situation so well done on reaching out, and I hope things get a bit better for you soon <3

Thanks lunar cat. I don't think I could really talk to them about it since they would just get mad and it would probably make it worse, I just really hope it magically gets better and stuff since its really hard. Thank you though <3
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 412 Listening Ear
    @BlueberryMuffin Ah okay, sorry to hear that, I wish I could wave a wand for you and fix it <3

I'm not sure if it helps but I feel similar about my extended family - not as far that they hate me, but I do feel like an outsider, removed from everyone. It's very complicated as I really enjoy spending time with them as I don't see them much but I just feel like I'm treated slightly differently, I don't know why, and I struggle to initiate conversation, and it's not looking like something I'll just grow out of.
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 yeah I get that, I guess what I feel is kinda similar but with my parents. I really appreciate your support <3 ty
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 585 Incredible Poster
    @BlueberryMuffin i get u my situation is kinda similar and it rlly shit having such a shit relationship with the ppl who ur meant to get on with the best i dont have any good advice but i defo feel u
    i dont wanna be alone forever.