Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aaaaaaaaargh (subtitle: sad, and scared my insomnia is coming back)

PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
hey folks : ) sooo today kinda sucked. I have to wake up at 4:30 for work so I always try and go to bed early, but last night I just couldn't sleep and woke up super tired. was working from home which made some things easier, but then the senior guy put me on a video call to tell me off for not helping out enough at the start of my shift (when we do need to get stuff done asap before other tasks come in at 7 - yes, I know, long story - but in fairness I was really tired and groggy at the time). He wasn't even that harsh, and said it wasn't just me anyway, but still after coming off that call I just burst into tears. I just felt so sad and shitty. also, now I'm starting to feel tense because I'm worried I also won't sleep well tonight. I nearly always get tense right as I'm getting in bed but haven't had a sleepless night for a while. I drank tea with chamomile in last night and everything dammit... anyway yeah bit of a sadmad day today. hoping tomorrow will be better <3

Comments

• Options
    cc_ilariacc_ilaria Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    edited December 2023
    Hey @PenguinSky :) it's great to meet you!

I'm sorry today kinda sucked for you, it sounds like not getting much sleep and feeling tired has had an impact on your day and made things difficult for you. Feeling sad and shitty after coming off a call where you were told you weren't helping out enough is understandable, especially since you had a bad night so were feeling groggy and tired anyway. That most definitely doesn't make things feel any easier.

I hope you get some better sleep tonight, it sounds like you tried really hard last night to get good rest :( hopefully with feeling tired already and what sounds like a long and challenging day you will get that well deserved rest 💜

I hear your worries, and that tense feeling does not sound nice at all. I'm really sorry you experience this

Do you find anything else helpful at night when it comes to sleeping? For me, things like white noise, weighted blankets, doing something calming and not being on my phone right before bed, and having a warm bath or shower before bed helps me out!

We are always here for you if you want to talk more about how you're feeling. Proud of you

:)
  • Options
    PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    hey @cc_ilaria thanks for responding <3 I was mainly just venting and wasn't sure if anyone would reply, so someone taking the time to write back means a lot :)
    to answer your question: I often do the shower before bed thing and avoid screens as much as possible, and when I'm actually in bed I have an audiobook or podcast on to distract my brain a bit! Actually - I've been thinking about getting a weighted blanket, but honestly I'm kind of nervous because the whole 'weighted' part seems a bit scary, like the pressure would feel too uncomfortable. and they're not exactly cheap so it's not really something I'd want to just buy on a whim! (I know stuff can be returned for a refund but, well, I'm lazy lol.) Just wondering, what does yours feel like and any tips for picking one out if I did decide to go for it? thanks :)
  • Options
    cc_ilariacc_ilaria Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    edited December 2023
    Hey @PenguinSky ! Awwe of course 💜

That's great that you do so much already to help you fall asleep. I love audiobooks! Distractions like that are acee

I hear you on the weighted blanket thing, they aren't for everyone but I find them really comforting and helpful personally (: I totally get the refund thing, its so annoying sorting it all out and a big fuss haha, but yes that would always be an option if you really didn't like it. Some people find getting weighted pillows (something that doesn't cover all of their body, just something to hug that's comforting and weighted) are better for them! Those are a nice alternative if you're worried about the blanket idea.

Oouhh tips! I'd firstly say, paying that extra bit of money getting a better known brand is worth it definitely. Also the weighted blankets come in different weights/sizes. They recommend personalising the weight of your blanket to being around 10% of your body weight. This helps to reduce that feeling of trapped-ness and also makes sure its the right weight and won't squash you too much haha. :)

I love my weighted blanket, and pillow. I hope you find something that helps you, and we are always here if you need to chat 🫶🏻
  • Options
    Issie_11Issie_11 Moderator Posts: 11 Settling in
    Hey @Penguinsky <3 Thanks so much for reaching out here!

I’m really sorry to hear you had sucky day! Feeling sad or shitty is really understandable when you have tough days at work, particularly if you didn’t get much sleep in the night before!

Feeling anxious about sleep is completely valid, especially if you’ve had periods of insomnia before. Have you found anything else helpful before that you could try tonight to feel a little bit more relaxed when you go to bed?

Hoping for good nights sleep for you tonight but do let us know how you get on :)