Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My counselling sessions got cancelled

I've been checking the counselling page every day for months and a few weeks ago there were finally some sessions available at a time that I was free. The first one was meant to be today but I got an email 6 minutes before saying that it had been cancelled. I understand that its no ones fault but I want to stop feeling like this and I keep getting rejected from services. I went to my GP to talk about mental health but the waiting list for camhs is too long because I'm 17 and for adult services I have to wait until I'm 18 which is in february. I don't even know what to do any more. I'm tired of having to deal with feeling anxious all the time alone I jsut want someone to help me. I know I can reschedule but it probably won't be for weeks.

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,032 Boards Guru
    I'm really sorry to hear about your counselling session @eliza55 <3

I'm hearing you've been waiting for a place for a while and I can't imagine how hard that was to have your first session cancelled only a few minutes before it started. Do you feel comfortable sharing if this was with The Mix's counselling? If it was, we can get in touch with our counselling team to find out what might have happened and help rearrange another one for you asap.

You've been really brave to share here and we're always here to support you <3

If you're looking for some more support while you're waiting for counselling to start, you may wish to join one of our online Support Groups that run every Sunday-Thursday evening - https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat

For counselling, you may also like to look into Kooth which offers free counselling sessions via webchat. Their webchat service is open Monday-Friday 12pm-10pm and Saturday and Sunday 6pm-10pm. You can find out more here - www.kooth.com

Keep us updated with how you're feeling <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    eliza55eliza55 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Yes it was counselling with The Mix and the reason it got cancelled was because the counsellor was unexpectedly unavailable so I understand that nothing could have been done. I replied to the email with times that I'm available so it can be rearranged. I already go to the online support groups sometimes but unfortunately kooth isn't available in my area. My GP recommended a local online counselling service but I can't use it because it requires a phone number and I don't have a phone. I'm not sure what to do because I feel like I've tried everything and I'm finding it hard to cope with waiting so long for support.
  • Options
    LozLoz Community Champion Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    There is a 16-18 CAMHS service
    "My darkside won today" - DArkSide by BMTH
  • Options
    eliza55eliza55 Posts: 3 Newbie
    My GP said CAMHS would technically accept me as a 17 year old but she can't refer me because the waiting list is too long and I would turn 18 before help became available, and CAMHS in my area doesn't accept 18 year olds. I think in some places it's different and you can be referred to adult services at 16 or 17 or CAMHS still accepts you at 18 but my GP said there was no way of getting round it and I would have to wait until I was 18, use the online counselling service or go private (not an option for me).
  • Options
    LozLoz Community Champion Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Are you in college or anything like that?
    "My darkside won today" - DArkSide by BMTH