Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sexuality Fluidity

leehollyleeholly Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
Just wanted somewhere to put some of my thoughts about sexuality that I've realised over my adolescence.

When I was a pre-teen labels like bisexual just didn't exist (at least where I lived) so I always felt very confused because the label straight didn't fit but neither did gay/lesbian. When I eventually found out about bisexuality something clicked and I realised what I was after years of confusion over my sexuality.
Then over my teenage years, I realised that what is true for me at one point may not always be true. So, while I do identify with being bisexual, sometimes I just have no interest in men and only care for women (and vice versa). It took me a long time to come to terms with this as I struggled with constantly feeling like I had to change my label and getting in and out of relationships. Now I'm out of a school environment there is definitely significantly less pressure to have to fit into one definition of a label and I am so much happier knowing that I can be bisexual and also just not be interested in men for a little bit because that is what bisexuality means to me.
I struggled internally so much over so many years just to realise that I don't have to conform to people's ideas of what a bisexual person feels, acts, or looks like. I just think it's freeing to finally be comfortable in my own interests. I also got lucky that I have a partner who understands that my interest in him fluctuates.

So yeah, just a random little post to get it off my mind.

Comments

• Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @leeholly Thanks for sharing your exploration journey. I believe it will be helpful for people who are exploring right now or having similar experiences. And it's good that you find a supportive partner :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    @leeholly I'm glad that you have shared your journey with us as it's great to see that you have become comfortable with your sexuality. I am also very glad that you have got a loving and great partner. It sounds like they are very very supportive and helpful too. I know sexuality can be a very hard journey to go through especially exploring it too. <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I agree that finding out about sexuality 'labels' can be helpful when we are struggling to find something to identify with. But equally, we can then feel a bit boxed in by definitions and it can be freeing to realise that while the general label is something that is universally agreed upon (e.g. bisexual means to be attracted to both males and females), on an individual level we may have our own feelings and interpretations that can differ to someone else (e.g. you realising that your attraction can fluctuate). And that's totally okay! :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,061 Wise Owl
    Like the others have said, thank you for sharing your story with us and i'm glad to here you've reached a place where you are happy living just as you are without the pressure of conforming to labels that environments like school can put on people.

Hope your doing well in general and sending hugs
    Sinead
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @leeholly thanks for sharing your journey! I'm sure there will be other members who will find this helpful :) It's great to hear that you are being your true self and have people that support you <3
  • Options
    JimetteJimette Posts: 85 Budding Regular
    Really great to be honest here! And it's great that your partner understands~ :3
    Wild Hearts Never Die~ >:3