Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I do not like myself

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 189 Helping Hand

Hello.

I do not like myself. This feeling has stayed with me for a long time. I want to like myself, but it is difficult, and I feel hopeless. I think people do not like me anytime I walk on the bus. The following experiences have made me feel that others' opinions of me define my identity and determine the love I receive from others. They have also made me think that I get singled out for special attention. My first university mentor told me I am a lovely student, but I am too hard on myself sometimes and would offer me frequent reassurance. It felt like he made a definitive statement about who I am. My last university mentor saw me at an art exhibition, which came across as glossing over my feelings about the opinions he provided in our sessions. A student sent me a request to connect with her on LinkedIn, which came across as ignoring how her feedback made me feel. The mentor and student's behaviour felt patronising. A helpline volunteer told me it was a shame I did not utilise my creative talent at home, which chimed with other people's opinions of me. In other words, it felt like he carried the same view others had of me. My female friend offered frequent reassurance whenever I shared how I felt with her, which felt like she defined my character by that. A teammate from a personal development programme would tell me to sit with him and the others and draw attention to my quietness. These situations came across as him patronising me in front of the others. Another teammate from the programme never spoke to me, which felt personal. A former mentoring manager on the programme thought I was modest about my skills, which felt like he attacked my character.

Comments

• Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Creativeboy23 - it takes a lot of courage to open up about these experiences you’ve had so thank you for that!

I’m sorry that you’ve had to go through all of these experiences and the difficult emotions that go with them. It can be difficult to ignore other peoples opinions of you, especially when you are already feeling down about yourself. I have also been like this for a long time, and found that something that helped me was thinking that other peoples opinions of me are none of my business. Their opinions are out of my control, so it’s best not to think too much about them. It took me a long time to come round to this way of thinking, but ultimately for me it is healthier. It does take conscious effort to implement this way of thinking, but it could be worth it.

I’m sorry if this doesn’t help, but know that it’s incredibly brave for you to open up about what you’re going through, and that is a very admirable trait that you should be proud of. We are always here to listen and help on the mix🩷
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 189 Helping Hand
    Hello @LydsRose9.

It did help. That is true. I will try to remember that.

Thanks for your help. 🩷