Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

counselling-school

libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 585 Incredible Poster
do any of u know if its possible for me to get counselling in school, like in general ik all schools aren't the same

thx
i dont wanna be alone forever.

Comments

• Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Hiya @libbystrawberry :) Great question, of course you make a true point that all schools are different, however most schools that I've heard of at least have a pastoral member of staff who is there to often support, even if it's not 'official counselling'. Equally, I think recently a lot of schools are beginning to invest seriously in actual counsellors to support their students.

I reckon looking for counselling through the school is a brilliant idea from you, what's made you think of doing it? xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I agree with @AislingDM If your school doesn't have a counsellor, there will be someone in pastoral care for your year group who is there to listen to any concerns you have. If you don't know who that is, you could try checking your school's website or talking to your head of year.

Another option, but this may depend on your school, is the school nurse. If your school has a school nurse, you might be able to talk to them and get a referral for counselling that way.

If you still can't find out, is there anyone at school that you feel you trust and could open up to about how to access counselling? I'm also wondering whether it's possible for you to talk your parents or doctor about accessing counselling as well?
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    hi @AislingDM thanks i think these days my problems are getting too much for me and i need help, so thats the reason why i wanted to know.

@Maisy thank u, will defo ask my head of year :)
  • Options
    support_squad23support_squad23 Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Hi @libbystrawberry

It's great to see that you've been able to recognise that you might need some more support. Counselling would be a good avenue to explore, even if it might seem a bit daunting. Understanding more about yourself and how to help cope with the challenges you're facing could make an invaluable difference. Let us know how this goes.
  • Options
    @support_squad23 i always try to go to the reception/office in my school but i always get cold feet for some reason idk but i really want to get help
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @libbystrawberry echoing what everyone else said well done for noticing that u might need some support thats a really great step and i can hear how it would be hard going to the office/reception to ask. Is their anything that might make it a bit easier for u?Also mabye if theirs a particular staff member that u trust if their isnt a counsellor then they could mabye find out for u if their is or point u to the right member of pastrol team/wekkbeig team (ik they can b called diff things) That is if u havent spoken to ur head of year already :)

sending hugs
  • Options
    HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    @libbystrawberry I just wanted to drop by and echo what others have said above. Making the decision to seek help is a really courageous one and we're all here with you.

You've mentioned that going to the school office feels a bit scary for you, which is totally understandable. Is there another way you could get in touch with them (by email for example) or is there anyone who you could ask to go to the office with you?

You're doing really well, Libby.

Take care,
    Harry
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Options
    @HarryT i could email my HOY, thx for the idea i might just do that or if i dont then i could ask my friends to go with me :)

@ebyrne556 thx i will probably go with my friend, that will make it a lot easier :)
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more @libbystrawberry ! When I was at school, there was something strangely daunting about heading up to the reception desk. Even though you know the teachers, administration staff etc.. are there to help you, it can feel quite scary to actually make that push to go in person. I love the idea of emailing instead, because then you can still ask for support in a way that makes you feel less worried?

In terms of struggling more and more as time has gone on, I think it's extremely impressive, albeit very upsetting for you, that you have been able to recognise this. Oftentimes, when we are becoming increasing overwhelmed and distressed, our emotions roll into one and it can be tough to even identify that we need support. Good on you for being able to see this in yourself <3

Would you like to talk about any of your problems here? (no pressure if not) xxx
  • Options
    hastings1066hastings1066 Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    @libbystrawberry I hope you are able to talk to at school.My school has connections to outside counsellors, I hope you find something.
  • Options
    How have you been feeling about it all @libbystrawberry ? xx
  • Options
    @AislingDM i told my hoy in person in the end and toold her some stuff but now i feel exposed cus she knows stuff that no one knew
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Hiya @libbystrawberry Firstly thats an amazing step and well done for opening up.Its not easy for anyone and you should be really proud of yourself <3 I can here how you might be feeling a bit exposed especially if you told her stuff no one knows Its such a great step but i can understand how its a big step and you might feel relieved but also a bit exposed afterwards. How did she make you feel after you told her? Was she pretty understanding Hope your doing alright <3
  • Options
    That definitely makes sense, sometimes the hardest part about opening up (especially when it's with a professional like a teacher or a doctor) is accepting that they know important information about you and your life and there hasn't been an 'equal exchange' of sharing as there often is with a friend when you open up to them @libbystrawberry .

Of course, being brave in this way of opening up in honesty is deeply impressive and as your HOY, she should handle this with confidentiality and treat you with the respect you deserve, so hopefully this will mean that you feel a bit less exposed over time.

How have you been feeling in the weeks since? xxx
  • Options
    @AislingDM tbh kinda forgotten bcz she said she was gonna put me on this programmme to see soemone every other week, but i never saw her i was meant to see her at least 3 weeks b4 school finished but didnt see her once,
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    This sounds really frustrating for you @libbystrawberry :/ Do you have any access to the support you need and deserve at the moment - was does this look like for you? :)
  • Options
    Ah, no worries at all @libbystrawberry that sounds pretty rubbish to be honest, thinking there is a clearcut plan for getting regular support sessions, only to have it pulled out from under you before the summer holidays is not a nice feeling at all. It's strange to me that you were left without the support you need and as Laura says, I really hope you can find some over the summer in the meantime, even if it's through us here at The Mix <3<3