Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First ever full-time job (scared!) (early morning shifts)

PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
edited March 2023 in Work & Study
Hey guys 🙂 So I’m going to be starting my first ever job in mid-April (I’ve done some volunteering, unpaid writing and a bit of hospitality work, but this my first full-time employment including signing my first contract earlier today!). I’m really excited, it was a wonderful surprise to get the offer, and the job description is in line with my interests and career plans. But I’m also really scared… I did get through an assessment to be hired, but what if I’m terrible at doing the actual job? I’m also quite shy and awkward with new people so what if my boss/co-workers don’t like me? What if something else goes wrong that I haven’t even considered because I have basically no experience of being a functional working adult lol…
Also, the working hours are a bit crazy. WFH shifts can start as early as 5am or start in the afternoon and end late in the evening. And for working in the office, earliest shifts start at 6:30am. I’ve researched advice about how to adjust to waking up really early, but a lot of those guides advise keeping your sleep schedule as consistent as possible, and how can I do that if my work shift could end at 2pm on one day and 10pm on another? I’m really not sure what to do about that.
So yeah, about the confidence thing and the sleep thing… I’d be super grateful for any advice on either.

Comments

• Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hi @PenguinSky , it’s really good to hear the good news! It is completely normal to worry about the new opportunity or environment. I also felt worried and anxious when I successfully got my job, but my friend told me that I was definitely capable of doing that job and they chose me, and it’s ok even if I am not doing it perfect at the beginning. It’s really helpful for me and I decided to take the job, so I would like to give you the encouragement too!

For the working hours, trying to establish a routine might be helpful. For example, on days of late shift, you can try to wake up at the same time and use the morning to do other things. Also, you can still keep consistent sleep schedule say 11pm if you finish work at 2pm on one day and 10pm on another.

Good luck with your new job!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @PenguinSky

Congratulations on getting your first job! :)

Going into the working world for the first time can be scary so your feelings are totally valid. Many thoughts will be running through your head and it can feel daunting. The best thing you can do is be yourself and try your best, that's all anyone can do <3

I remember feeling like this starting my first job but even if you're not amazing when you first start you do eventually adapt and get the hang of it you just have to give yourself a chance because you are amazing. You will get used to the lifestyle change I found that I needed plenty of coffee ;)

Do let us know how it goes and we are here for you if you have any more worries or questions <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Hey @PenguinSky

Just want to check in with how this is going??
  • Options
    jasminejasmine Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hello,
    It’s nice to see how everyone is evolving, as a matter of fact I hope to start full time work soon as well !
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Good luck u know where we r if u need us @jasmine and i hope it went well @PenguinSky
  • Options
    Hey Enyrne556,

Thank you, it’s nice to know that I can message you all any time. I just need to wait for :)
  • Options
    Wait*
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @jasmine how r u feeling about waiting? I hope it isnt too long for u!