Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nightmares

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I can't sleep well and I always have nightmares about the police handcuffing me. I don't know what to do. Is it normal?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hello @Kate_20

I'm sorry you've been dealing with bad dreams about such a harrowing scenario. I understand that having nightmares about the situation is affecting your sleep and stressing you out. Would you like to tell us a bit more about how you've been feeling and what do you think may have caused these dreams in the first place?

Sometimes even just talking about it can bring some relief and this is a great place to get support and understanding from peers, maybe someone who's experiencing similar feelings may be able to give some advice so it's very positive you decided to open up about this
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @genderless_fungi It could be that I was threaten by the police a few times when I was in crisis. I don't remember most of those relevant experiences. How can I get rid of these dreams?
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hi @Kate_20

I don't think there's a fool proof way of getting rid of nightmares, especially when they're rooted in real life experiences that have been difficult to deal with.
    I think that a good way to start tackling the problem would be to ask ourselves why a certain scenario is making us so upset; you've mentioned being restrained before, are you afraid this might happen again or are you in a state of mind that maybe reminds you of when these instances took place?

we're all here to give you support and being open about these kind of experiences with other people is already a huge step, but maybe trying to work through these feelings with a professional or a trusted friend would be helpful as well. Do you think you could talk about this situation with anyone you trust?

I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @genderless_fungi I'm not in a similar state of mind yet but I feel like it will be inevitable eventually. I can't really get anyone to resonate with me.
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Morning @Kate_20 Hope you got some sleep last night? Im hearing that you feel you cant get anyone to resonate with you.Mabye if you are worried that people wont understand you could try write down how your feeling/ express it in another way if it helps to communicate it easier.
    Im really glad you have reached out to us here and even if your finding it hard to speak to the people around you we r all here for u. Adding to what was said above i definetly agree theirs no easy way to get rid of these bad dreams however i sometimes find that doing an activity before bed eg reading or watching a video of something nice normally makes a feature in my dream so mabye you could try that and c if it helps however i dont know how beneficial that would be in your situation as its linked to ur negative experience. Im also hearing that ur not quite in a state of mind yet that might remind u of what happend.Its totally ok not to be at this stage yet and these things take time to proecess just go at your own pace <3 hope this makes sense and take care
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kate_20 I know how bad nightmare suck, I used to have them every single night and they've only started to calm down recently. This hasn't always helped but I do feel like it does sometimes help to do something calming that clears my mind before bed. Personally I like to play sudoku before bed (ik that sounds really nerdy lol but it doesn't involve any thoughts other than numbers which helps me to calm down and clear my head ig). I hope these nightmares go away soon and I hope you're ok! Sending hugs <3
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 @Xee Thank you for your kind words. Yeah now I am having a different type of nightmare. I'll try to do some nice things before bed. It is always tricky.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,110 Part of The Furniture
    What's the different type of nightmare you are having @Kate_20? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us about your nightmares.

What are some nice things you might do before bed to help you feel better and why do you find this tricky? :)