Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My dad making an assumption and getting personal

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 194 Trailblazer
edited May 2023 in Health & Wellbeing

Hello all.

I was coming downstairs to bring my glass into the kitchen, and my dad asked something like why I am coming down and that he and my mum are not up yet. He was exercising. So, he was up. He usually often gets into these moods and I just felt he wanted to find something to get angry about. I ended up going into my room feeling upset. I tried watching something to cheer myself up, but it has not helped because I felt I was treated unfairly. I overheard him saying to mum that he thought I was coming to wash up, which made me angry because he should not have made that assumption when he did not know. He knocked on my door and I did not want to answer it because I was angry with him. Then, my brother stirred up trouble, bringing up not answering the door. So, my dad started getting personal, bringing up my graduation. Also, how I will be sensitive to constructive criticism on my work in my future graphic design job because it is one of my flaws. This was uncalled for.

Comments

• Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    @Creativeboy23 Hello! I know how u feel, my family always make uncalled for comments and whether they mean it in a cruel way of not, it does usually end up upsetting me quite a bit. That was pretty shitty of your dad to start to make things personal like that. The other day I was arguing with my dad and she was telling me off about not doing chores which is a pretty normal thing to get told off for and then she got overly stressed and mad that she brought up my addiction/trauma and it was really really not called for.

Have you thought about speaking to your dad when he's in a more calm mood and when he'd be willing to listen to you? Idk what your relationship with him is like or what he's like but maybe talking to him about how his comments bother u could help him try to be like more aware of what he's saying? I'm not sure.

How are you doing today? :)
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Hello @Xee.

It is okay now. I have moved on.

I am sorry to hear you have gone through that. It was wrong for your dad to bring up those things.

How are you feeling now?

I am feeling low again.

Whilst I was working on something, I felt the idea I came up with was not valid. So, I ended up experiencing the following negative scenarios and memories. A student from another course critiqued my writing in a group tutorial. I remember my mentor correcting me when discussing exercising to lose fat. He was saying it goes beyond that. Therefore, I felt that people are insulting my intelligence, isolating me. My tutor told me to fix my writing because it was too close to the edge. I remember a careers advisor commenting when helping me with my CV. Overall, it feels like people think ill of me, which isolates me.

• Options
    Aw sorry to hear you're feeling low again :( I'm feeling pretty good for once!

I'm sorry to hear all these people in your life have made comments which upset and offend you but you're not focusing on the good comments equally! I'm sure so so SO many people have complimented you or/and your work and it's really important to remember those things too :)

I understand how shit it feels when you feel like everyone sees you in a negative light but you need to be able to see yourself as an amazing person before you can expect anyone else to. Try not to be so self critical, although I know it's a lot easier said than done. Ofc idk you but from what I do know, you seem like a lovely person.

I hope u feel better soon and your low mood hasn't dragged into today. Sending hugs! <3
  • Options

Hello @Xee .

That is good to hear.

That is true. I will try to remember the good comments too.

Thanks for your support.
  • Options
    @Creativeboy23 No problem! I'm always here anytime u wanna talk feel free to tag or pm me :)