Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hey Everyone!

JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
Hi people! I'm new to this place so would like to introduce myself. My name is Jakub and I'm a 20 year old guy (although I feel more like I'm 10 lol), I'm from Poland but I live in Leicester in England.

I'm super shy so I'm horrible in any social situations and tend to make them as awkward as possible, so if I say something wrong feel free to correct me ;)

I felt like no one ever understood me and over time I realised I probably have depression (because I fit almost all the "signs of depression") and over time it's been getting worse. I'm here because I really hope to change this.

My interests include playing video games, board games, listening to music and trying to play piano.
I'm in my second year in uni and although I have a few people I know from there, I never had any real friends.

That's about it from me, if anyone wants to know anything else then please ask.
Sending hugs :)
Believe in me - who believes in you

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Afternoon Jakub, it's good to have you here! Welcome to the mix. :) I hope you get the support you need and start to feel better soon.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Welcome to The Mix Jakub! Always nice to see other guys joining. Any particular board or video games you're into right now? (I'm a big fan of both too!)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Good afternoon @Supernova Thank you and I hope so too!
    Hello! @Morgan007 :smiley:

Please forgive me I have no clue how to reply (I have figured out emojis tho) :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Hello @Mike I play all sorts of video and board games I could talk about them all day. I'm playing Elden Ring at the moment but my all time favourites definitely include Outer Wilds, Breath of the Wild and Hollow Knight. I definitely play board games less because I don't have many people to play with, and my family aren't too happy about playing the more complicated ones.
    What are your favourites?
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    edited February 2023
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Please forgive me I have no clue how to reply (I have figured out emojis tho) :lol:

An @ like you did is definitely the easiest way to do it, and it gives a notification which is nice. Alternatively you can click "Quote" under someone's name and it will automatically quote the whole post in your reply. You can delete parts of their post within the square bracketed "[.quote]" sections (without the dot) if you want to reply to something specific.

// Quoting is something I rarely do though, so I'm interested to see if my post here messes anything up :D

Edit: it absolutely did.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Supernova wrote: »

An @ like you did is definitely the easiest way to do it, and it gives a notification which is nice.

Yea, I realised someone quoted me earlier but I didn't get any info. That way I don't know that there is someone who has replied to me.
    I will definitely you @ when replying, it seems more reliable.
    Cheers!

Edit: and there I go replying without using @Supernova :lol:
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    Hi @JJLemon18, welcome to our community! Hope you enjoy it here! Really looking forward to seeing you around :3<3

As a piano player myself, good luck with trying to play the piano! It's hard at first but you can definitely do it! What kind of music do you like?

Hope you're doing okay at the moment :)
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Hi @kaii
    I'm enjoying it here atm, I thought it'd be a lot worse.

I actually found playing piano pretty easy at the start, my problem is that I make a lot of mistakes like missing the keys and I definitely can't play most songs. There are a few I can play almost perfect so when I want to show off how "good" I am, I play those haha.

I like most types of music, but I'm mainly a fan of rock, electronic, and videogame music.
    My favourite artists include:
    The Script
    Alan Walker
    Enej (They are a Polish-Ukrainian Folk-Rock band so I doubt anyone here would have heard of them)
    And a lot more...

I hope you are doing well too! :smiley:
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    Hi and welcome to the mix @JJLemon18 :smile:
  • Options
    Hello @sinead276 :)
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 ahh I see, I also relate to that XD it's definitely important to keep practising in order to play the songs we want to play perfectly!

I like your music taste ^^ I also like most music but I mainly listen to rock and videogame music too! Not sure if you've heard of them, but Against the Current is one of my favourite bands :smiley:

Take care :)
  • Options
    @kaii its cool we have a similar taste! :)

I haven't heard of them before but I just listened to a few of their songs and I must say I really like it! So thanks for sharing I might start listening to them :smiley:

Any favourite videogame soundtracks of yours?
  • Options
    HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey hey @JJLemon18,

Just dropping by to say a massive hello - welcome aboard! 👋
    Hi @kaii
    I'm enjoying it here atm, I thought it'd be a lot worse.

I actually found playing piano pretty easy at the start, my problem is that I make a lot of mistakes like missing the keys and I definitely can't play most songs. There are a few I can play almost perfect so when I want to show off how "good" I am, I play those haha.

I like most types of music, but I'm mainly a fan of rock, electronic, and videogame music.
    My favourite artists include:
    The Script
    Alan Walker
    Enej (They are a Polish-Ukrainian Folk-Rock band so I doubt anyone here would have heard of them)
    And a lot more...

I hope you are doing well too! :smiley:
    This is a pretty groovy list. I'm also a big fan of The Script, in fact I might go and listen to some of their music now. I've never heard of Enej but I'll check them out, too.

Take care, and see you around!
    Harry :)
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Options
    Hey @HarryT nice to meet you! :)

Cool to hear you're a fan of The Script too!

I'm really curious to know what you think of Enej. My recent favourite of theirs is Grozi nam cud, it's a little more chill than their other songs. So please, I'd love to hear your opinion!

I'm also super curious what their songs sound like to someone who doesn't understand the language (sorry but I'll assume you don't understand polish haha)

Take care!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Hi @JJLemon18 welcome to The Mix. I hope you enjoy on it here. I too also like video games. I look forward to seeing you around on the boards :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Hi @Amy22 that's cool! :)
    I think you will definitely be seeing me around (or not, depends how I feel)
    Hope you are well!
  • Options
    @JJLemon18, I'm really glad to hear that you like their sound! Hope you enjoy more of their music! :smiley:

I also listened to Enej for a little bit, they have a really cool sound! I listened to their song Kamien z napisem LOVE ^^

To answer your question, I really like the Sonic Unleashed soundtrack, and Genshin Impact's soundtrack :lol:
  • Options
    @kaii I'll be honest, I'm not actually a fan of that particular song haha but it does have some funny lyrics. I'm glad you liked the sound tho!

I haven't played those games so I'm not too familiar with the music. My favourite music is from the game Just Shapes and Beats, but I also love Undertale and Celeste music.
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 of course haha, I'm sure there's other songs by them that I may find better! It's cool to know that the song has some funny lyrics though hahah :lol:

Ahh yes I love Undertale's music too! Never listened to the music from Just Shapes and Beat and Celeste, but they sound interesting!
  • Options
    @kaii the song is about a guy who is so poor he can't even afford to give a girl flowers, so he gives her a "rock with the writing LOVE" on it instead (which is the title of the song). But it turns out the rock is made from gold so he takes it back from her and is now a millionaire. Then he buys her flowers for 5 złotych (converts to 1 pound) and presumably keeps the rest to himself...
    This is made as a joke obviously but whoever made the lyrics is a genius :joy:

I would really recommend Just Shapes and Beats if you're into cool music and I'd also recommend Celeste if you like yourself a good platformer. ;)

I have a question for you, what do you think is the best way to learn to play piano? I really want to get better but I'm just lacking in motivation
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Welcome to the Mix Jakub! Im Eden nice to meet you.Also a board game and video game peson altho my family do hate it when i get out monopoly at christmas time haha. I do also love a game of splatoon on the switch Look forward to seeing you around and hope you enjoy being in the community
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 Hi Eden! That's a really nice name!

Ah, Monopoly. It is the board game. I almost empathise with your family haha ;)

I'm kidding. But I'm a fan of a little different and more unique games. One of my favourites is Exploding Kittens if you've heard of it? (Yes, it is a card game technically but it doesn't matter) I have to recommend it! Its one of the simpler ones I own, and I do own quite a collection haha

I have played a demo of splatoon and have enjoyed it but I never got to buying the game for myself.

Hope you are well! :)
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi Jakub aw thanks no i havent heard of it but it does sound good! Must check it out ;) Splatoon is great ive nearly ‘finished’ the second one ( u cant really finish it but nearly at level 99 and all the clothes r bought so tehcnically have) and am hoping to move onto the 3rd one.I also like playing animal crossing idk its so relaxing haha. Hope you have a good rest of your weekend
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 Oh I have a feeling you'd like it!
    Have a great rest of your weekend too!
    See you around! :)
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 wow that's a really funny story to the song hahah!! :lol: Thank you for your recommendations! I shall give them a listen! :smile:

And to answer your question, I think everyone learns differently and motivation tends to come in waves. I'm a self-taught pianist, but what has helped me was learning the basics first - learning the different keys, chords, and scales, and practising them often.

Once I mastered them, I then start to learn simple songs first, like the lullaby or happy birthday hahah, and then once mastering those songs by practising a lot, I started playing the songs that I like. YouTube's really helpful for this, especially PGN Piano! I really recommend his tutorials because he explains everything whilst playing the song with you. If you don't like listening to people speak whilst you learn, there are piano tutorials on YouTube (that usually have thumbnails with colourful falling notes haha) that you can look at too. These tutorials seem really hard at first glance and so might scare a beginner (which is why I recommend PGN Piano), but when looking at these kinds of tutorials, I like to look for patterns and to take it slow. I look out for what chords they use, and practice playing the notes on the right hand, then on the left hand (practice one hand at a time), and then once you're confident playing on either hand, then you can play them together to improve your coordination!

It's also good to start off slow first (even if you're playing a fast song) - this helps you build confidence in the notes you're playing and minimises mistakes if you keep practising. You can increase the speed if you're not making anymore mistakes after playing it slow. Also, a little and often helps a lot - daily repetition for just 30 minutes is a lot better than cramming.

I must also mention that at first, you might not like how the first songs you play sound like, since they're more simplified, less sophisticated, and don't sound like the way you want it to - but it's important to remember that there is development in playing piano and so you should be happy with what you can already play based on what you've learned! That's the beauty of progress. I think a lot of people tend to give up playing the piano because they want to get to a professional level right away, but get disappointed when they can't do that just yet. Be patient with your progress - you'll definitely get to the level that you want someday. Growth mindsets are very very important for you to keep going!!

So sorry that I've typed a lot, but I really hope that this helps, and best of luck playing the piano! You've got this! :smile:
  • Options
    @kaii Thank you so much for the advice! This is exactly how I've been learning so far, but I mostly watch Sheet Music Boss on YouTube, if you heard of them. But thanks for the recommendation, I will check PGN Piano out.
    This is a good sign that I'm on the right track! :smiley: All I need to do is spend a little more time daily.

Thanks again and see you around! :)
  • Options
    RossouwRossouw Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi JJ Lemon, I'm Rossouw. I hope we can be friends. If you feel like 10 we are almost the same age haha. I may not spend to much time on my computer but I hope we can still be friends. I will check in when ever I may. How do you insert emojis?