Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hi;)

Emma05Emma05 Moderator Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi everyone,I’m Emma :)
Soon to be volunteering as a board moderator!
I am young empathetic,I wear my heart on my sleeve.I was the socially awkward kid at school,wasn’t the most academic ,always compared to friends who were smarter.I wasn’t gifted/popular, I spent the majority of my teens wondering if I was every good enough,or worthy of anything .I hated secondary, which resulted in my mental health taking a hit.I got to the point where I didn’t want to go to school…I was lost,I didn’t know who to turn to.The journey made me realise how broken the system is, how poorly people perceive mental health.I witnessed the stigma,However growing up, I realised I wasn’t alone, just unaware.
The point i am trying to make is,I won’t be smartest in the room,but I will be in the room.I will be listening, I will be invested.I care!
That is why I chose to volunteer, as I know out there is another teenager, another Emma, who needs someone to care, to be invested, to be in the room..
I didn’t have many people in my room,I hope I can use my experience and empathy to support another person…

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Emma05 wrote: »
    I am young empathetic,I wear my heart on my sleeve.I was the socially awkward kid at school,wasn’t the most academic ,always compared to friends who were smarter.I wasn’t gifted/popular, I spent the majority of my teens wondering if I was every good enough,or worthy of anything .I hated secondary, which resulted in my mental health taking a hit.I got to the point where I didn’t want to go to school…I was lost,I didn’t know who to turn to.The journey made me realise how broken the system is, how poorly people perceive mental health.I witnessed the stigma,However growing up, I realised I wasn’t alone, just unaware.
    The point i am trying to make is,I won’t be smartest in the room,but I will be in the room.I will be listening, I will be invested.I care!
    That is why I chose to volunteer, as I know out there is another teenager, another Emma, who needs someone to care, to be invested, to be in the room..
    I didn’t have many people in my room,I hope I can use my experience and empathy to support another person…

Hi @Emma05 welcome to The Mix. I totally agree with some of the things you mentioned as to be honest the system needs to be fixed as there are lots of people who still need support and don't often receive it. You seem like an amazing person by the way and I really look forward to seeing what you do as a boards moderator. Its always getting to see new mods and I can't wait to see you soon. Hope you enjoy it on here.

Big wishes,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Emma05 wrote: »

Hey @Emma05, welcome to the mix! I hope you enjoy your time here
    What you say about the system not being able to take care of everyone is sadly true but it's amazing that you came out of that experience with a newfound desire to help people that might be going through the same struggles you did :) Sometimes just having a listening ear changes everything

That said, I'm sure you're smart as well as empathetic and I cannot wait to see you in action on the boards. Good luck!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hi @Emma05 nice to meet you!
    I must say I've been really moved by your post, I can tell you're a very kind and caring person. Its really nice that you joined!
    Looking forward to seeing you around. :)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    Welcome to the community @Emma05 and thank you for sharing your story with us all too. I'm looking forward to you joining our volunteering team <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    Hi @Emma05 and welcome to the mix :3
  • Options
    RossouwRossouw Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi Emma, I'm Rossouw. I hope we can be friends. I may not spend to much time on my computer. I will check in when ever I am can.