Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling

Since the festive season I've been starting to go downhill in my mental health again, it's not disastrous and I'm somewhat managing to get by but it's starting to get bad, especially my sleep which has been causing me to be late to college and missing work. It's only caused me to miss work twice now, but it's stressing me out because I'm even more tired than i usually am and i don't want to regress to how i was in 2020. I made loads of progress so that I could go back to college and get my A levels and now in the past several months it feels like I'm backtracking. I think the main problem is my sleep, I've never ever had decent sleep patterns, I think it links to my potential ADHD that I'm looking into currently, but I'm always tired during the day but by night I can't sleep until 1 or 2 or even later. I also have problems hyper focusing on using screens which makes me lose time. It's really starting to stress me out because I can't afford for my sleep to be like this. Any advice would be much appreciated .

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,015 Community Veteran
    Since the festive season I've been starting to go downhill in my mental health again, it's not disastrous and I'm somewhat managing to get by but it's starting to get bad, especially my sleep which has been causing me to be late to college and missing work. It's only caused me to miss work twice now, but it's stressing me out because I'm even more tired than i usually am and i don't want to regress to how i was in 2020. I made loads of progress so that I could go back to college and get my A levels and now in the past several months it feels like I'm backtracking. I think the main problem is my sleep, I've never ever had decent sleep patterns, I think it links to my potential ADHD that I'm looking into currently, but I'm always tired during the day but by night I can't sleep until 1 or 2 or even later. I also have problems hyper focusing on using screens which makes me lose time. It's really starting to stress me out because I can't afford for my sleep to be like this. Any advice would be much appreciated .

Hi @IdiosyncraticTrash I bet that sounds very tiring for you at the moment. I hear that you are currently struggling with sleep patterns at the moment especially because of ADHD. I can imagine how impacting that must be on you especially when it comes to college work. I understand what it is like as I am ADHD myself and I consider myself neurological. I too also struggle with sleep patterns so you are definitely not alone there.

I know that this might not always be helpful but have you thought about possibly sleep meditation. I know that there are a few youtube videos that are focused on this. There's a channel on there called Headspace which focus on this. What sleep meditation does is that it helps the person to relax before heading off to sleep, so they can sleep well. Meditation can work for some so it might be something to look at. If you need someone to talk to at anytime about anything, feel free to pm I will be more than happy to help.

Hope you are feeling okay, Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hey @IdiosyncraticTrash

I'm hearing that you're finding you mental health to be going down hill lately and that you are feeling more tired that normal. That sounds really difficult. I see @Amy22 has already given some great advice about using meditation apps. Following on from that, you could also always speak to your GP and ask for their advice. I'll also attach a link by the NHS on sleep problems which contains some information and advice https://www.nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/mental-health-issues/sleep/
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Ah, right after your other thread i came across this one @IdiosyncraticTrash , thank you for expressing all of this to us <3

This sounds so immensenly exhausting for you. There is truly nothing worse than not being able to sleep and when you do it doesn't feel satisfying or refreshing because it really can ruin the whole day and even the week. I know it must feel even more challenging for you because you've focused so much energy on trying to cope over the past few years, all to feel like you are 'backsliding' now is certainly upsetting and stressful :(

I completely agree with the suggestions, especially Headspace which I use every night to fall asleep. Adding on to this, I think it's a great idea to sit down and think about what good 'sleep hygeine' is for you. Some people can manage well on 5 hours and others (*cough cough* me) need minimum 8 and even then it can be hard to feel revitatlised in the morning.

It also seems like it's more than 'just' working on a sleeping pattern, especially given the points you made about ADHD, and it makes me wonder what kind of support you are getting for that? i know seeking a diagnosis can be a lengthy process and so it can be helpful to start using ADHD coping strategies before getting one?

This link has lots of info about ADHD as well as methods that have helped others:

https://ineffableliving.com/adhd-in-adults-strategies-for-living-well-with-adhd/

Huge hugs and hoping for more peaceful rest for you in the near future <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    IdiosyncraticTrashIdiosyncraticTrash Posts: 13 Settling in
    Hi
    Thank you @Amy22 @jess63 and @AislingDM for your input, it's much appreciated. I've decided to quit my part-time job as a way of lightening the pressure and I shall definitely check out headspace and the other links you have sent.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,015 Community Veteran
    Hi
    Thank you @Amy22 @jess63 and @AislingDM for your input, it's much appreciated. I've decided to quit my part-time job as a way of lightening the pressure and I shall definitely check out headspace and the other links you have sent.

No worries I'm more than happy to help out anytime. I hear that toubare quitting your part time job because of how pressurising it was. Sometimes it can be good to.have a break from work and other things as sometimes if we are working a job and doing other things as well it can cause stress. Let me know if you do need anything, I'm more than happy to listen and lend a hand,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Brilliant decision from you @IdiosyncraticTrash <3 Truly, I think sometimes we need to accept that our minds and bodies just cannot take on all the stress that they are experiencing. And it certainly does not make you a bad person to recognise that. I hope you can feel proud of your choice to finish with the part-time job. When I was studying, leaving my part-time job gave me an instant burst of relief tbh. I know not everyone can afford to leave and so here if you need any advice on how to make the two work in tandem. xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.