Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling down again

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
I just have been down and stuff because I still haven't got my career sorted and I feel unmotivated as fuck. Thers jobs like in retail avalible and colleges but i just don't want to just do something i don't like or that would put me down. I got withdrawn from a college course in September and it only was there a few days now Im not doing much and I sometimes just feel depressed. Ive been feeling down and everything about stuff. Its just i could maybe get a job in retail but i don't want it to be like one of my old colleges which depressing and stressful for me. I feel like a retail job would be like that like rude customer and I feel like I'd be under pressure since they are paying me. I just keep feeling down worrying about my future and stuff. I was feeling depressed last night, mood swings, now I'm just depressed again.

Comments

• Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Hey @FordRanger

I have read through your recent posts and it sounds very overwhelming. Applying for jobs/figuring out what path you want to take is always hard, there is a lot of rejection when applying for jobs too, which can be even more unmotivating. I never knew what I wanted to do in life and witnessing my friends all go to uni or have their 'thing' made me feel even more lost, so I would go in and out of ideas because I felt I needed to have my 'thing'. For the last couple of years I have been working towards a goal, and have now applied for 10 jobs, but seem to be getting rejected. It's draining.

My advice would be to step away for a bit. Try to mentally detach, because, at the moment, you seem to be putting so much of your energy into not having your career sorted, that (I don't know if you believe in manifestation/affirmations) you are almost affirming it not happening. Maybe try to set yourself a time frame where if the thought comes up try to send it away, and not get caught up in it because maybe a break will not only be beneficial for your mental health but also give you some new perspective on what you could do.

You have brought up retail and that you may feel under pressure working in that industry, but what is it that attracts you to retail work? There must have been a reason for your mind to go to retail so is there anything that interests you about that?

Take care <3
  • Options
    FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
    RenP wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger

I have read through your recent posts and it sounds very overwhelming. Applying for jobs/figuring out what path you want to take is always hard, there is a lot of rejection when applying for jobs too, which can be even more unmotivating. I never knew what I wanted to do in life and witnessing my friends all go to uni or have their 'thing' made me feel even more lost, so I would go in and out of ideas because I felt I needed to have my 'thing'. For the last couple of years I have been working towards a goal, and have now applied for 10 jobs, but seem to be getting rejected. It's draining.

My advice would be to step away for a bit. Try to mentally detach, because, at the moment, you seem to be putting so much of your energy into not having your career sorted, that (I don't know if you believe in manifestation/affirmations) you are almost affirming it not happening. Maybe try to set yourself a time frame where if the thought comes up try to send it away, and not get caught up in it because maybe a break will not only be beneficial for your mental health but also give you some new perspective on what you could do.

You have brought up retail and that you may feel under pressure working in that industry, but what is it that attracts you to retail work? There must have been a reason for your mind to go to retail so is there anything that interests you about that?

Take care <3

Hi, good advice and I appreciate it.

What made me think about retail was just my college suggested it and also my mum just wants me to get a job so she suggested retail jobs.
  • Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    edited October 2022
    Hey @FordRanger
    @RenP has already given some great advice, which I can only reaffirm. I’ve seen your previous post, so I completely understand feeling depressed and unmotivated. It sounds so frustrating and exhausting. As suggested above maybe trying to take a step back and detach may be useful? Possibly use the time to reengage with yourself, such as doing things you enjoys, like spending friends/ family and doing hobbies. Is this something that would interest you or think would help?

You said you have thought about retail work, of course this comes with its own challenges, but if there is something about it that genuinely interests you, you should definitely look into it further. It can be great to develop skills and employability. You may want to do some volunteering, to get a sense of what you may be interested in and develop some skills.

Best wishes ❤️
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    Hi, just wanted to say I also agree with the advice from Ren and Fiona and I hope your doing okay at the moment

Sending hugs,
    Sinead :3
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hey @FordRanger

I'm hearing that you're feeling unmotivated and down because you haven't got your career sorted. That sounds difficult. It can be hard when you're not sure what you want to do. I know you've mentioned previously that you like cars, how would you feel about looking for a job to do with cars, like at a car parts shop or garage? It can be stressful when you're not sure what to do but it's always important to remember that taking a break and having some time out is okay. Let us know how you're getting on, we're all here for you.
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @FordRanger

I saw a post on Instagram recently which I can't remember the exact wording, but it said something like if you hold a glass of water for a minute, an hour or a day, the weight of the water stays the same. If you hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If you hold it for an hour, your arm will ache. If you hold it for a day, your arm will feel numb. The longer you hold it, the heavier it gets. Think of that analogy for holding the weight of anything in life, in your case, and mine at the moment, think of your career. If we think about them all day long we will feel numb and won't be able to do anything. It's so important to put the glass down when it gets too much, and then come back to it another day. You'll benefit from letting go.

Like fiona333 said, volunteering is a great way to start something, employers will look out for stuff like that as it shows genuine commitment and interest, but also for your sake if you just wanted to explore different areas you could see what interests you and what doesn't. I think I once replied to one of your other posts saying about drawing out a mind map with your name in the middle, then just writing the first things that come into your head, which could lead onto other things etc. It's a really great way to learn about yourself :)