Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My parents asked me to die

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
My parents asked me to die. They said that I am so ungrateful because I cannot feel joy in my life and I should die because of that. They told me that I was lying when I told them I felt absolutely exhausted. They said that I should be ashamed of myself for feeling drained. They said that I just don't want to recover from depression because I can wish it away with my will power.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm so sorry that they said that to you @Kate_20 that's a really awful thing to say to anybody especially your own child. :anguished: It can be really frustrating how some people just do not understand mental illness, you wouldn't tell someone to just "wish away" a broken leg after all! I really hope you're coping okay at the moment and that the exhaustion you mentioned isn't weighing on you too much, we're all rooting for you. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    oh that's not very nice, I'd ask them to stop being pricks!!

i'm sorry on behalf of the human race (i mean, i'm an, owl but still) that a human would say that to another never mind their child, i hope you're doing okay, don't take their words to heart, you seem a really kind and empathetic and brilliant human being :heart:

you'll know this - but depression isn't something anyone causes to themselves, and you absolutely can't just wish things better. i do wish though, that your parents knew this, but from what you say it doesn't sound as though your parents were even trying to be helpful with their unhelpful "advice", they're just being cruel.

we're all here for you whenever you need anything, everyone here is so kind and empathetic, and when anyone puts you down, we'll always remind you how fantastic you actually are :heart:
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Like the others have said, no one should be told by anyone to die, yet alone their parents so the fact you're going through this just isn't okay.

Like @Owl said, your depression is NOT your fault, as there are so many factors that can trigger it that are just out of anyone's control and there is absolutely no need to feel ashamed about it, so try and ignore what they are saying that is negative (although I know it is easier said than done).

I hope you're doing okay now, and even if not then that is completely valid as well as we all have good and bad periods - we're all here for you so keep going <3

Sinead :)
  • Options
    @Riley @Owl @sinead276 Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying everything to ignore what they have said to me. I am just worried that I am not really over it and the feelings may come back and catch me again at some point. My parents still feel like they've done nothing wrong :(
  • Options
    NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that your parents were so mean to you. That's a horrible thing to say to you. :anguished: Depression isn't the easiest to handle as it's a mental health condition, so it's not you not trying to recover, it just takes time to get to a point where you feel happier. Sending virtual hugs. :)
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    @Kate_20 I am so sorry to read this. People can be so cruel, and for those people to be your parents too, I can’t imagine how it felt to hear that. I hope you know you have bucket loads of support here and we are always here for you 💜
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi Kate,

Firstly, I want to say well done for reaching out to the community, it’s really brave of you. I am hearing that you’ve been feeling exhausted and drained lately and that your parents said that you should be ashamed of that.

That sounds really tough and frustrating. Do you want to talk more about how it made you feel when your parents said those things to you?

Keep us updated with how you're feeling, we're all here for you

The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @NeonBlueThunder1 @Lucy307 @jess63 I still feel very hurt. They said that I used my depression as an excuse to hurt them. They also told me that I am not kind for having depression. They said that I remember the hurtful things they said to me because I can only see negative things in life.
  • Options
    NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    @Kate_20 I'm really sorry you're going through this. Also having a mental illness doesn't make you a unkind person. :anguished: Virtual hugs