Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Job Stress

SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how to manage stress during the job application process. I'm in the middle of applying for an apprenticeship but their questions seem so intense and overwhelming. It's making me feel anxious and out of control. I also feel a little ashamed that if I can't handle the stress of the application, how will I handle the stress of the job?

Comments

• Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    edited March 2022
    @Sona Not sure if my suggestions will be helpful. I've only done some internships before I entered my master's programme. I started with volunteering and had failed several internships. I got familiar with the questions and answers through avoiding mistakes I've made and observing other people. I've got an job offer before graduation but could not go because I did not graduate on time and they no longer need me. I did pass the job interview though. I'm not sure if I am going to find another job because I was scarred by my first internship experience. I feel like I am never capable of doing things because I started as a failure. I know that I improved but I am incapable because I am me. I feel like I am deliberately ruining my chances by creating incidents to prevent myself from going to work.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Sona i completely relate with this, applying for jobs can be so stressful and honestly most of the time more stressful than the actual job. When applying for jobs I like to get someone’s help from like a friend or family member I’m really bad at making myself sound good so sometimes it can be really helpful to have someone else’s opinion. Also although this probably isn’t useful considering your applying now, I like to try to pre prepare answers like simple ones like why do you want the job and things like that, or after your applying for this one maybe make a note of the answers you gave then if you have to apply for others it’ll be easier and a bit less stressful. Let us know how your getting on with it xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Dandelion! Your tips have been quite reassuring for me. I think a lot of the anxiety came down to fear of failure. But I feel much calmer now and see this as a new adventure that i'll do my best at, not something to fear.

Every chance not taken, is a chance missed!
  • Options
    Hey @Kate_20,

Please don't feel so down about your experiences. Sometimes what is meant for us, will find its way to us. What were some of the positive things you learn't from your experiences?
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Completely agree @Sona thats a great way of thinking about it, I’m glad you’re feeling calmer about it now
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.